Menu
ro2778
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Router saying password is not sufficient

I'm trying to setup the wifi to have the same SSID and password as my old wifi network that all my devices are connected to but the stupid programming of the router is telling me that the password I want to use is "not sufficient".

What sort of a dystopia am I living in when some unwashed programmer is questioning my life choices? Anyone know how to bypass this obscenity?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router saying password is not sufficient

guessing the password is too weak, could use e.g. http://www.passwordmeter.com/ to rate the password, since password best having numbers, upper and lowercase and symbols, only other way to bypass this is put the hub into modem mode and possible use old wifi network equipment if suitable.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
ro2778
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It's not too weak, it's just right, I'm living in my house, trying to make choices that I'm happy with. thanks for the modem mode suggestion

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Rising star
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello

What type of encryption are you using as WPA/WPA2 requires 8 characters as a minimum.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
ro2778
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The issue is not the length it's the girth

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

One of the many reasons why I use a greater than 50 byte password with my own equipment. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If its a Hub3 VM say...

4. Enter the existing password and then enter your new password. The minimum criteria for the new password is:

minimum of 8 characters
must have lower case letters
at least 1 upper case letter
at least 1 number

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
ro2778
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I was an early adopter to this wifi business, when I bought my first DrayTek it didn't even come with a password protected wifi network, that was an opt-in function. People used to share the wireless freedom. But then business realised it was going to lose out, so they told us to beware of our paedophile neighbours. Then routers came with passwords. At least, somewhere along the way, some designer had the decency to create a detachable card so we could input the unintelligible mess of letters and numbers before changing it to something more memorable. I suppose the ability to opt-out of passwords was lost, long before the restriction now placed on us by Virgin's outsourced programmers to input a strong password in our own homes. No doubt the next step in this dystopian bore will be a password that expires every week and the time wasting ritual I've just undertaken, changing all my devices, so that the part-time parents, part-time h4ack5t0r5 I have for neighbours will keep their filithy fingers off of my data!111

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just as we would all like to use Credit Cards & online banking without PIN codes & passwords, & to watch 18 rated movies on tv at any time we want without PIN codes in a child free household. Those days are long gone & we might as well accept it.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
ro2778
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Very helpful, I'm just appreciating the irony of your forum badge, thank you.

0 Kudos