Menu
sam89665
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Router making high pitched noises

Hi,

Our router often makes high pitched noises intermittently throughout the day. The noise isn't loud enough to hear if the TV is on, but is very noticeable and annoying when the room is quiet.

This happened with our old router and still happens with our new router, which we got a few months ago. I was hoping the issue wouldn't be present on the new router, but it's still there.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any solutions?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router making high pitched noises

No real insight ... but if its happened on 2 consecutive and different VM Hubs, it does suggest that the noise is coming from something else.
e.g. Shelf vibrating? Touching something? Your power socket? Nearby electrical equipment being interferd with by the Hub power? etc......
Have you ruled all of those out ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
sam89665
Joining in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

The noise is definitely coming from inside the hub itself. I have a good ear and can tell it's not coming from anything else.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Even if you lift it up and move it away from its location in your hand - to the extent of the cable's connection - it still makes an "intermittent high pitched noise" with your ear pressed against the case 🙂
If so that is odd.
Are all the cable connections in nice and tight ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

When you installed the new router, did you replace the power supply too?  A faulty psu could cause the router to do this. 

0 Kudos
sam89665
Joining in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Yes it still makes the noise. The noise is 100% coming from inside the router case itself. As I say, it's not extremely loud, you couldn't hear it over a TV, but when the room is quiet its very noticable/distracting/annoying for both myself and others in the room.

I've checked the cable connections and they all seem fine.

0 Kudos
sam89665
Joining in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Everything was replaced, including the power supply. Which is why I'm thinking it must be a common issue with the router, but I can't find any other reports of the problem.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

See what happens when you remove the coax connector, and then the ethernet connection/s. 

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Everything was replaced, including the power supply. Which is why I'm thinking it must be a common issue with the router, but I can't find any other reports of the problem.

VM certainly have had such problems in the past.  Depends on the frequency, the age of the observer, how noisy the hub's environment is, and the tolerance of the listener.  Here's a fun little test to make us oldies feel as old as we are.  My hub is probably howling away, but anything over 12 kHz and I won't hear it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
sam89665
Joining in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@Andruser

That's interesting, thanks. I know I'm very sensitive to certain sounds, so I suspected that this was a sound that some people might not even notice, whilst being very annoying to me.

Having said all this, the router has not been making the noise for the last day or so - it seems to only happen at certain times/days. Perhaps it's when the router is working hard, or is doing background updates or something. It sounds like a problem I'll just have to live with until they release an updated version.

By the way, I'm 33, and according to the test I have the ears of a 27 year old - not sure what significance that has though!

0 Kudos