cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right Angle Connections

NightSprite
Tuning in

I very much need to find a suitable connector for my cable modem, but for the life of me I don't know what to look for. I was thinking, maybe possibly it's a coaxial cable connector but it can't be as simple as that, can it?

Basically I need to find a right angle connector to screw into the back of the modem, so the modem can sit closer to the wall. At the moment the modem can't go back far enough on a new shelf because the current cable sticks out too far.

If someone can point me in the right direction. I'd greatly appreciate it.

6 REPLIES 6

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Any coax cabling that hasn't been supplied by Virgin Media won't have been tested by them either, so no guarantees that it would work properly.

Any faults attended by a technician that then arise from changes you make would be chargeable to fix.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/priceguides
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Sooooo, do Virgin Media provide right angle connectors?

If not, I guess I'll need to get one regardless, so what is it I'm looking for?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@NightSprite wrote:

Sooooo, do Virgin Media provide right angle connectors?

If not, I guess I'll need to get one regardless, so what is it I'm looking for?

As stated before, any that you buy will not be of cable standard, so could cause noise ingress onto VMs network. Your connection is shared with every other user on the street cabinet, so if your connection causes ingress, everyone on that cabinet suffers the consequences of your modifications. A situation for which you could find yourself paying for all their fault call-outs. If you want to take that risk it’s up to you.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Personal view, a right angled F to M F-type connector is solid metal and is unlikely to introduce noise into your circuit. That said, it’s still against the T&C you signed.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Feels a little silly that a little connector can be such a major issue for virgin media, but I understand. I guess I'll have to find somewhere else for the modem to go where it won't dangle off the shelf. 

@NightSprite wrote:

Feels a little silly that a little connector can be such a major issue for virgin media, but I understand. I guess I'll have to find somewhere else for the modem to go where it won't dangle off the shelf. 

Considering the below connector has been recommended several times on here to resolve connection issues:

I see no reason why the below should be an issue:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382477070283

An attenuator, used for adjusting power levels between the HUB and VM network, probably has more 'moving parts'!