Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Reset needed more than daily - about to quit after 20 years

Hi all, seeing as waiting on the phone for hours on end is not my preferred way of spending my time, I thought I'd post here as a last resort.

I've been a Virgin Media (aka Telewest, aka Blueyonder) customer for 20 years but I am finally at my wits end.

I use my Virgin SuperHub 2ac as a modem as the wifi is shocking and it's connected to my Linksys EA9500 router.

At least once a day (if not more often), I have to reset the modem to get back online when the connection drops. We are a pretty average family, 2 gamers and 2 Netflix/Amazon streamers on and off throughout the day. 

Am on the M200 Fibre Broadband package.

Here is today's ThinkBroadband BQM Live Graph:

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media

Here is the Upstream Burst, Upstream and Downstream Page from the modem:

Upstream BurstUpstream BurstUpstreamUpstreamDownstreamDownstream

The ONLY thing I am ever told to do when contacting "Support" is to reboot the router which does sort the problem temporarily. I don't expect to have to do this when I am paying what I am.

Any help would be gratefully received as my options are currently:

1. Stay on the path of constant reboots

2. "Upgrade" my modem to a newer SuperHub (how I can get this done given the ridiculous wait times on hold at the moment is beyond me)

3. Cancel the whole relationship: Phone, Broadband and TV and go with Zen

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts 😁

S.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Reset needed more than daily - about to quit after 20 years

I cant see anything odd in the stats you have posted- although never looked at upstream burst before !

The BQM looks iffy so posting up the Network logs would help. Others will comment but it "could" be a fault in the Hub so an upgrade is worth a try (see below). Also checking all the connections and a pinhole reset are worth a go too.

First switch the Hub off for 5 minutes AND unplug it from the mains. Whilst it's off, do a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box. Then switch it on again and leave 5 minutes

Then do a Hub “pinhole reset” - but, make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub, and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it there firmly for 60 seconds – release the pin then leave the Hub 10’ to stabilise. See if it has improved.

Try the "free" SH1/2/2ac upgrade/replacement scheme - see the link below - as they are trying to get everyone onto Hub3's (may be a delivery charge).

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap.html?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap

It works first time for about 50% of customers, but if you get the - "Ooops - please call" message, then this usually means you are on an old package that the computer cant recognise so they want to speak to you about it. When you call it in (calling at 08.00 is the best time to get through without wait times) it's a coin toss whether the agent knows about the scheme. If they do they will just say "ok we will send one out" (there may be a delivery charge) - or - they say "oh no, that's an upgrade there will be a charge and it starts a new contract". Neither of those statements in correct - so just say no thanks and leave the call. Maybe try again - different day different agent.

After that you could try texting on 07533 051809 - include account name/number and what the issue is and see what they say – replies may take a bit longer

Finally a VM person should pick this up here and sort the swap for you, but it can take several days.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You have noise ingress on the circuit. If you are rebooting ever day those PostRS errors are too high. Check all connections are tight and if so, then an engineer will need to investigate and fix. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Adduxi  wrote:

You have noise ingress on the circuit. If you are rebooting ever day those PostRS errors are too high. Check all connections are tight and if so, then an engineer will need to investigate and fix. 

You may be right of course.  But I have had the SH2 for many years and one thing I learned early on is that (Unlike the Hub3) you never get zero numbers in those error columns.  Someone explained it to me years ago but dont recall the tech details but is something to do with them being generated every time the connection is remade, at start up, rebooted, reset, dropouts, etc and they just stay there.  Attached is mine from now - I have had no connection issues for yonks. 

So those numbers alone aren't diagnostic of noise - other factors need to be looked at.

Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 19.56.08.png

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info, I've gone for the hub upgrade 🙂

We'll see how that pans out...

0 Kudos