Menu
GeoffAngela
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Repositing Super Hub

Hi

Hopefully, someone might have the answer to this one. My Virgin setup is a SuperHub 3 upstairs in one of the bedrooms and a TV box downstairs in the lounge, coming in through separate sockets to the external box. I would really like to reposition the router downstairs. Can this be done by using a splitter on the TV connection, or do I need a £100 Virgin engineer to add a new external socket specifically for the router?

Thanks

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Repositing Super Hub

Can you send a picture of the splitter at TV downstairs, its sounds like this would be fine to just connect hub to but need to make sure to avoid breaking something 🙂

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
GeoffAngela
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Matt

Thanks for the quick reply. The splitter is currently on the router upstairs, but I can't get to it at the moment as its behind a chest of drawers. It will be a standard Virgin supplied unit though, rather than something off Ebay...

Geoff

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Do you know if that splitter connects anything else?

or is there one port empty or is there a TV box connected in bedroom also?

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

am i correct in that the downstairs line is just a cable from the external box - if you add a splitter it will drop the levels to whatever is downstairs by about 3 so it depends what the levels are today - if any reduction keeps them above -6 then all should be good

so check the levels before you add the splitter

post them here for comment if you dont understand them

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labelled - upstream - downstream

if its an earlier hub button is top right

Tony
GeoffAngela
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi

No, there's just one connection to the Hub. There used to be an ancient set top box there, many moons ago, but the Hub's on it's own now.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It sounds like moving the hub should be pretty easy then.

Removing the cable connecting the splitter to the wall and connecting that in place of TV cable downstairs and then attaching TV cable to the splitter.

0 Kudos
GeoffAngela
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony

My downstream power levels show between -3.4 and -5.2 dependent on channel, and 47.8 and 49 on upstream. Are those the figures you were interested in?

Thanks

Geoff

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If the setup is how I think it is, these shouldn't really change as we're not adding a splitter, merely moving it.

GeoffAngela
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just a quick follow up on this to let you know that it all worked perfectly. Took a couple of hours to relocate the hub, router, switches and cables and everything went fine.

Thanks again for the advice.