cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement wall socket

Badjax1000
Tuning in

Hi there,

I recently purchased a new VM broadband but when setting up realised that it would not work without a newer wall socket fitted. I’ve been looking for a while but am finding it hard to see how I can apply for a newer one. Any advice would be helpful.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

726C89B0-3345-446A-9F52-AE6E41F2FAE1.jpeg

This is the type i have installed 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

yup the bottom one is it, the top one is a bt socker and should be dead, where the splitter is one for the cable modem and one for the DVR, it doesn't matter which one goes to whitch

soky.png

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

there is no newer one - different ones maybe - what have you got - post some pictures

Tony.
Sacked VIP

726C89B0-3345-446A-9F52-AE6E41F2FAE1.jpeg

This is the type i have installed 

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Thats a telephone socket not a broadband socket, the broadband socket looks like this , it will come in on th same cable as the telephone socket and spilt off, so follow the telephone cable back

sock.jpg

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Badjax1000
Tuning in

2D45923C-08E1-4841-87B8-4BB00ACB5B75.jpeg

8A4CA353-38D8-421F-8C66-B19A7D28A139.jpeg

  

Hi, I recently bought VM broadband service and the package arrived at my house but once it arrived i realised my wall socket was incompatible with my wires. I was wondering how I could get a replacement VM wall socket that is compatible? Any advice would be very helpful. I have attached an image of my wall socket and the cable that came with my package.

AAD49F7F-0C9A-4814-A0BA-EF35A50DE6B3.jpeg

A82F2AE0-5DE8-4771-8638-95531E295E5E.jpeg

Ok so following the wire along I’ve also found these two boxes

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

yup the bottom one is it, the top one is a bt socker and should be dead, where the splitter is one for the cable modem and one for the DVR, it doesn't matter which one goes to whitch

soky.png

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

if you only have broadband you may be able to connect direct into the wall box and get rid of the splitter - the splitter reduces the levels and it may be set up for that so try it if you want - post the levels from the hub and someone will look at them and tell you if the level is ok

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labelled - upstream - downstream

if its an earlier hub button is top right

you DO need to sign in on hub4

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Agree with Tony, just connect direct to NTL box. Keep the splitter and 3db attenuator, they may come in handy later. The old cable should screw off, whereas the new cable is just a push fit. 

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Badjax1000, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. it's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to see that there was a little bit of confusion with your installation. It sounds as though you have been able to get things up and running now. I can see the Hub is showing as online and all is looking good for you too. 

If this is not the case and you are having further issues, pop back here to let us know so we can help further. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs