Menu
RobertIain
On our wavelength
Message 31 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Re: Repeated problems, Leeds LS22 area

Two more days without ANY update, currently looking at a software update which is slightly under 1 gig in size that is taking approximately two HOURS to download, because the Virgin service remains utterly abysmal. Assuming, of course. that it doesn't just die completely again before we get the download through.

Still no answers why the area faults keep on recurring (has anyone even LOOKED at how the past performance in this area has been so poor? Course not, that might involve acknowledging failures and Virgin really hate doing that, so avoid it at all costs...), no indications that there is any more grasp on the problem now than there was all those months ago when it began, just an occasional set of warm words about how much people care and how sorry they are...

Stop being sorry, stop avoiding the questions in the vain hope they go away, just find someone in your truly horrible organisation who understands what their responsibilities to the customer are beyond just taking our money and laughing at us.

0 Kudos
Moderator (Retired) John_G
Moderator (Retired)
Message 32 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hi Robertlain,

I've just checked and the fault affecting you had previously close and been reopened due to more work needing to be done. This is due to be completed this afternoon by 4pm though as always unexpected delays may occur. The current fault is ticketed under F006788644.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
RobertIain
On our wavelength
Message 33 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Rather begs the question why I can sign up for texts to be kept aware of the situation yet not be texted when you close the case and reopen it....

Can someone at least explain that, even if they won't explain why we have so many 'area faults' all the time?

0 Kudos
RobertIain
On our wavelength
Message 34 of 42
Flag for a moderator

And to the surprise of absolutely nobody, fault apparently still ongoing, no answers at all why we get so many 'area faults' here, no explanation why text alerts don't get sent...pretty much no support in any meaningful way at all, more a set of brush-off responses and no action to sort out a genuine problem affecting customers.

Maybe the hope in Virgin is I just give up and accept the shoddiness of how you are behaving, but that isn't happening... people deserve to see exactly what the customer 'experience' with Virgin really is, not the advertised '99% reliability' that gets claimed.

0 Kudos
RobertIain
On our wavelength
Message 35 of 42
Flag for a moderator

And as of this evening, everything died yet again (although I have never actually been told the earlier problem had been resolved not that I would have believed the message anyway - despite my mobile phone being registered to receive any updates on the fault...)

Just been talking to a helpful chap on the India-based helpline, who worked through what I was seeing, ran a couple more tests, and confirmed it's (yet again) an intermittent AREA fault, signal strengths for the whole AREA are not right, and he's raising the call to 'second line' who I presume are the people in England since he said they would not be able to start working on this until 10AM....

So, we are back where we always were - an area fault, nobody at Virgin seems able to work out what or why, and service is as usual utterly unreliable. I wonder if I did this sort of nonsense with my payments, would Virgin just shrug that off too?

0 Kudos
RobertIain
On our wavelength
Message 36 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Apparently it was 'fixed' (again) early yesterday morning - but as usual with a Virgin 'fix' it was back down again by the evening, and the good old 'we are so sorry you have an area fault' recorded message was rolled out yet again. 

Over an hour spent talking to your 'first line' support was completely fruitless, as it boils down to 'they can only pass on and report the problems', apparently so people who neither take any notice of them, look into them, or give a damn about actually fixing them. The 'recurring intermittent area fault' here has gone on for well over 18 months, countless 'engineers' have been sent out to a problem Virgin claim to have 'identified' countless times, and the result is absolutely zero progress, in fact the failure rate for services in this area is INCREASING. People on the 'helpdesk' repeatedly say how sorry they are, occasionally support staff on the forums turn up and make reassuring noises, but nobody follows through and gets this anything like addressed, it just staggers on while Virgin take my money and lie to me.

Actually rang the account cancellation number last night (one hint, if you hope to persuade people to stay, starting of with a 20 minute wait listening to canned music while your busy staff get chance to talk to you is way more likely to aggravate an already annoyed customer to the point where you're even more likely to lose them - but hey, why would that matter when we can staff the line with too few, poorly paid, people on the cheap), and as a shining example of how contemptuous of the customer Virgin really are, even they could suggest no email address or contact point so I could even ask if there was any chance of a genuine resolution to this farce.

There is a basic, underlying and serious fault in this area. the dozen or more times Virgin have admitted this in their recorded fault message should make that perfectly clear to anyone, even when they try smokescreens about 'signal to noise ratios' for my router - I have a long background in IT and network tech, but I don't need that to spot the pretty obvious truth that whilst SNR and power rating to the router are important, they do not matter a damn if the network I'm trying to connect to is broken, I could have the newest and shiniest gear direct fibre linked to your system and it would make no damn difference if the area fault is back - and it always, always is.... and you never, ever fix it.

0 Kudos
RobertIain
On our wavelength
Message 37 of 42
Flag for a moderator

14:37 today -

"Virgin Media Outage Update - Description : Service update. Broadband, Voice and TV fault F006835058.

The latest update is : We have identified the problem and an engineer is on their way. The estimated repair time is now : 24/1/2019 11:00:00 "

Oh great, in the last year or so of these recurring area faults that's roughly the 35th time I have been told you have 'identified the fault'... that is so obviously untrue it's almost an insult that you keep claiming it is the case.

How can one area have serious faults every few weeks that cause intermittent problems for your customers (internet on for a few minutes, or hours, then off again, speed varies between pretty decent and bloody awful at random through the times when it is' working') and nobody at Virgin have the slightest clue how to fix it? Or have you just decided it would cost too much to fix and some poor manager might not get their bonus if they 'waste' money on actually providing a the service you are being paid for, and and keep claiming is so stunningly reliable?

0 Kudos
RobertIain
On our wavelength
Message 38 of 42
Flag for a moderator

10:18 on Thursday 24 January -

"Virgin Media Outage Update - Description : Service update. Broadband, Voice and TV fault F006835058.

The latest update is : We have identified the problem and an engineer is on their way. The estimated repair time is now : 24/1/2019 11:00:00 "

So based on messages issued by Virgin in the last year, we stand at the following :

Times the area fault has been identified = roughly 36
Engineers sent out to fix the problem = roughly 36
Times Virgin have sent text messages claiming the problem is fixed = 9

Times anything has actually been fixed ..... 0

0 Kudos
RobertIain
On our wavelength
Message 39 of 42
Flag for a moderator

As per usual, service resumed 29 January, and lasted a couple of weeks until another failure earlier today - this time, apparently, it was a 'simple' fault and was resolved in about an hour or so....

However, in reporting the problem (again) I ended up with first line support, then second line support, then presumably third line support (needed to prove my identity three at each stage, supposedly because of the Data Protection Act, but if in the same call I have identified myself satisfactorily at stage one, why on  earth more and different proof of ID was needed at each stage - the final one needed my bank sort code! - is beyond me, except to make the process such a hassle that people give up trying) and as always, at every stage, had to repeat what is wrong, point out that thee is a long, long past history of these issues (which always surprises the support person), be told to do all the usual steps to reboot the modem, then be given the numbers I already use to check up on area fault status... it's as if this is a totally new problem every time, and nobody has any access to the history of the fault. Hardly a surprise is an ongoing, recurring fault is never fixed when the corporate 'memory' is like that of a goldfish, and has absolutely no clue that it even IS a recurring fault....

There is still nobody being held responsible for managing and fixing the issues in this area. I suspect the processes Virgin use to 'monitor' what's going on are actually hiding the underlying problem, because it's absolutely clear to any rational human there really IS a recurring problem that simply never gets resolved, just patched over. Hell, even Virgin should have noticed by now just how many times in the past couple of years they have put out the recorded message that there's an 'area fault' here, and realised from that there's something seriously amiss.... but it looks very like nobody is aware of, let alone investigating, what's happening.

Meanwhile the forum support has pretty much evaporated, maybe if you complain too much you get added to an 'ignore' list... who knows? But I'll keep on updating this thread as long as the problems keep on coming back, as a record of how consistently Virgin fail to meet the standards they claim to have - or at least until it gets 'deleted'.... and my faith in Virgin is so low, I'd not be at all surprised if that happens.

0 Kudos
RobertIain
On our wavelength
Message 40 of 42
Flag for a moderator

And after raising hell with first and second line support, and supposedly being raised up to third line support, I was promised this would be properly investigated. Services seemed to be back after a few days, so I hoped this would finally be the end of this sorry saga - except today, internet went down, and I've just come off the phone with the first  line support chap who told me it was an intermittent area fault that whey were working on and would fix as soon as possible..

In plain English, two years of 'intermittent area faults', countess calls to support, dozens of messages telling me it has been fixed - Virgin have done absolutely nothing but lie to me. The 'intermittent area fault' continues, and looks like it will continue until long after I'm dead, and nobody in Virgin takes responsibility for it - just hands out meaningless 'updates' and claims they have fixed it when they bloody obviously have done NOTHING of any real use.

0 Kudos