Menu
RobertIain
On our wavelength
Message 21 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Re: Repeated problems, Leeds LS22 area

Systems were working for a while, but since roughly 6AM when I woke up today (so maybe this was happening for hours while I was sleeping) it's been working for a few minutes, then dropping off for a few minutes, then coming back, and dropping off. Died and recovered many times while I was getting this post written...

No text updates, the recorded phone message is still 'sorry for the intermittent problems in the LS22 area, complex issue, no fix estimate yet', whilst the online service checker web page says

"We know of 2 issues in your area
You might find that you do not have any Virgin Broadband Wi-Fi connection at the moment, please reboot your modem to resolve
We have identified the problem and an engineer is on their way.

Fix estimate
19 November 12:00
Sign in to get updates You may find you are unable to log in to your virgin media email at the moment. Were sorry about this, our engineers are looking at fixing this as soon as possible.
We have identified the problem and an engineer is on their way."

Rebooting the modem is not, and never has been, any level of 'resolution' for the issues in this area, but I guess it buys Virgin 30 minutes or so while people wait for it to restart and then for the intermittent connection to fail yet again. Recorded message clearly admits to an area fault, yet the web page suggests rebooting the router in your home to 'resolve' it? Left hand, right hand, someone please at least make the effort to get communications within Virgin right before talking nonsense to the customers... you look (and I think are) totally inept, and more like a cowboy outfit than a reputable ISP.

So, yet AGAIN Virgin claim to have identified the problem (as they have done dozens of times before...) and sent yet another engineer somewhere to do... something... (bet they have not, it's just a 'cut and paste' phrase to look like they are doing something, otherwise we would have a pile of engineers out here given the dozens they claim to have sent out to look into this problem).

If the problem has been identified so many times, how come nobody has actually fixed it? I used to work in wide area network computing, across the Yorkshire and Humberside region - there is absolutely NO issue that recurs every few weeks over three or more years that cannot be identified and fixed, if two things apply - the people looking into it know what the hell they are doing, and the people responsible for providing the service take that responsibility seriously. Truth is, there's only one problem in the area - Virgin never actually fix the underlying issue (my guess is that's too expensive and might affect some mid-level manager's bonus payment, so fobbing customers off and misleading people is the 'better' option), just apologise, refund part (and only part) of the money they take from us if people scream at them long enough, and pretend it's all fixed when obviously it's not.

What most needs 'fixing' is Virgin.

0 Kudos
RobertIain
On our wavelength
Message 22 of 42
Flag for a moderator

And as of 21 November, we are still having 'intermittent' service - out for several hours on Monday, and again on Tuesday, the recorded message still saying how sorry Virgin are but no fix estimate, despite registering on their text messaging service when this episode of failures began last Saturday I've received absolutely no information at all, and the website now lists no known broadband issues for the area at all, just some TV problems!

Have Virgin now resorted to ignoring problems in the hope they go away? Why is the recorded message still saying how sorry they are for the ongoing fault when the website says there is no fault? Why is there no text update on what is going on? And how can they claim their "99% plus' reliability justified increasing people's bills when it's so demonstrably nowhere near that level of reliability, never has been and probably never will be?

0 Kudos
RobertIain
On our wavelength
Message 23 of 42
Flag for a moderator

and the farce goes on ... and on...

Having signed up for text messages regarding 'progress' on fixing this fault on November 17, there had been absolutely zero messages at all, just the recorded phone messge if you ring about service status, telling me how sorry Virgin are about it.

This morning (26 November) at 08:26, the first text message arrived!

"Virgin Media Outage Update - Description : Service update. Broadband, Voice and TV fault F006716285.

The latest update is : We have identified the problem and an engineer is on their way. The estimated repair time is now : 27/11/2018 13:15:00 "

Then they sent me exactly the same message again at 08:31. And again at 08:47.

Yet again they have identified something ... and sent yet another engineer to do... something ... unless, of course, this is just the standard 'cut an paste' regardless of how true it is.

10 days of ongoing fault. Second fully documented case of this type of failure in the last three months - and there were many, many more instances of it in past months and years.  This '99% plus' reliability they claim is just a total joke.

meclive
Tuning in
Message 24 of 42
Flag for a moderator

I feel your pain.  I'm also in Leeds and have experienced VM's "customer service"... Currently on my 9th day with no internet...

Although I registered to be informed by text message of any updates and issues, I've received nothing...

0 Kudos
RobertIain
On our wavelength
Message 25 of 42
Flag for a moderator

No internet all morning yesterday (27th November), then suddenly it seemed to be  working again just after 12:00 - sure enough, text arrived from Virgin at 12:26, which I expected to be notification they had fixed it, but no -

"Virgin Media Outage Update - Description : Service update. Broadband, Voice and TV fault F006716285.

The latest update is : We have identified the problem and an engineer is on their way. The estimated repair time is now : 29/11/2018 09:00:00 "

So it's been identified yet again, another engineer sent out yet again (both of which are almost certainly total nonsense and just 'filler text' put in every message to make it look like something useful is going on), and the intermittent fault still remains.... as it pretty much always has done for a couple of year whether Virgin claim to have 'fixed it' (and then it recurs a few weeks later) or not..

0 Kudos
RobertIain
On our wavelength
Message 26 of 42
Flag for a moderator

And it drags on, and on, further into the future... text received at 10:05 this morning (29 November)

The latest update is : We have identified the problem and an engineer is on their way. The estimated repair time is now : 5/12/2018 14:00:00 "

5th December. And in all honesty I expect either more 'updates' that push the fix date back, and back, and back, topped off with a 'we have fixed it' only for it all to start p again in a few more weeks time.This problem has dragged on, and on, for years, and STILL Virgin can't get a grip on what's going on and sort it out. Why can't they even come clean about what the hell is wrong in this particular postcode area?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Samantha_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 27 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hi Robertlain,

Thanks for posting on the community.

My apologies to learn of the issues you are experiencing with the broadband connection.

I've taken a look into this and can see the SNR (signal to noise ratio) fault in your area which you mentioned. The review date is still showing as 5th December. As this is a review date it can be subject to change.

Also the downstream power levels are too low which will cause issues with your connection. Once the fault in your area has been closed we can arrange an engineer appointment to adjust the levels.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
RobertIain
On our wavelength
Message 28 of 42
Flag for a moderator

But as I keep pointing out, these are regularly occurring issues, going back years - and all Virgin do is a slapped together 'fix' so they can mark the problem as 'resolved' and when it comes back up again act as if it's an entirely new issue.... which is why I have begun updating his thread every time the same issues hit this entire area, it's not about my particular up or downstream, as Virgin always confirm on their recorded messages, there is a problem in the LS22 area, every time.

Virgin really can't have this both ways, if your recorded message says the whole area has a problem, and the online service status checker  page (usually- it seems to be pretty poorly updated and maintained) confirms there is an area issue, and those 'area issues' keep on recurring every couple of months, I can't believe there's not an underlying AREA fault at the core of this, and no amount of sending engineers to me - which requires me to take time at home to be there when they come - will make the slightest difference to that.

Why is this entire postcode so often without reliable internet access?

Forum Team (Retired) Samantha_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 29 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hi Robertlain,

Thanks for posting back here.

I appreciate you keep this thread up to date.

I've taken a look at the fault ticket and the review date has been changed to 12th December. As this affects cable lines rather than post code areas, it won't be shown on the Service Status page.

Even though there is a fault in your area, there is still an issue with your own connection with the power levels. We are unable to get these adjusted until the SNR fault has been closed down.

I understand how frustrating this is and apologies for the delay.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
RobertIain
On our wavelength
Message 30 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Well the 12th came and went without any update - as did the 13th. I know the 'updates' were largely worthless, since all they did was push back a pretend 'fix' date which at best meant a temporary service would run until the next time the same old errors came back, but it now looks like even pretending to be on top of the problem is too much for Virgin to manage....

0 Kudos