Menu
dgxpert
Dialled in
Message 1 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Repeated area outages

We've been with Virgin since 2009 and had almost perfect service in that time. Except in the last couple of months where the broadband keeps experiencing total service outages, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day, multiple times a week.

Yesterday (Sunday) it went down around lunchtime, I ran the test via the service status page which said wait 10 minutes. It came back for around an hour then went down again. Broadband is even unavailable now even though the service status shows no fault. The test just says wait 10 minutes.

This saga seems to be gradually getting worse and worse.

I have work colleagues who also live in the same area and they're also noticing the broadband going offline at the same times as me, so it's not just my connection affected.

Are Virgin aware of any issues in the LS28 (Farsley / Pudsey area) over the last couple of months that are causing these repeated broadband outages? If not is there a way Virgin's engineers can monitor the network in the area to figure out what's going on?

0 Kudos
briantheref7
Joining in
Message 2 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: Repeated area outages

I know how you feel, but my problem has been going on since June 2018. I have had the engineers out 16 times since Christmas. I am seriously thinking about taking Virgin Media to court to claim compensation fro the last 13 months. When the engineer arrived today, he picked up the problem, it is with Virgin Media, not me. There is a fault in the area which will not be resolved until 28th August. I am fuming.

0 Kudos
dgxpert
Dialled in
Message 3 of 30
Flag for a moderator

I've had to put a TP-Link 4G LTE router on a separate VLAN on my home network running my smart plug sockets etc so I can still control them when Virgin broadband goes down. It's not ideal paying for Virgin broadband as well as the 4G SIM card.

0 Kudos
dgxpert
Dialled in
Message 4 of 30
Flag for a moderator

And Virgin broadband just went down again for the 3rd time this afternoon. This time the broadband test says my equipment is switched off - it most definitely is turned on.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 5 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Are Virgin aware of any issues in the LS28” this the prime reason why people should phone customer services and report problems. VM cannot possibly monitor all connections, so you need to inform them when you encounter problems. They do not have a crystal ball!

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
dgxpert
Dialled in
Message 6 of 30
Flag for a moderator

We can't phone them because we can't get past the automated menu system on their phone line. It asks for some password we've never set.

If VM actually do anything with the MI on how many customers are having to run the broadband fault test tool, an entire town having to run it multiple times a day for months should have already shown up.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hello dgxpert

Thanks for taking the time to post and apologies for the issues experienced. It disappointing to hear of the issues and the problems you're experiencing trying to get this resolved. If the test advises your equipment is switched off when it is in fact on we would need to look into this further for you.

I'm going to send you a Private Message to get some more details to take a closer look.

Thanks

Rob

0 Kudos
dgxpert
Dialled in
Message 8 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rob

Thanks, I've replied with the details you asked for.

I forgot to add I have a Broadband Quality Monitor running on my connection so you can see some of the bigger outages showing on it in red. It won't let me send you another direct message.

Live Broadband Quality Monitor graph:

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media Home

Monday 22nd July:

Sunday 28th July:

Monday 29th July:

Today:

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 30
Flag for a moderator

As well as the “check service,” weblink there is also a Service Status number 0800 561 0061 which usually tells you of local issues, down to postcode level (that might even not yet be listed on the Service Status web page) that may give you more info. If nothing shows there call it in and see what they say when they test your connection and if possible get a fault reference number.

Then, check all your coax connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc and that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing. Also check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

If that’s all good.... Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there. In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before] click on the “router status” icon at top right (SH2’s) or the text at bottom-middle of first page up (Hub3) and then copy/paste 3 FULL sets of data onto here – from the downstream, upstream, & network logs pages. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
dgxpert
Dialled in
Message 10 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Router connections all checked and tight. No physical damage observed inside or outside.

I'll keep hold of that phone number, I didn't know it existed.

As I noted originally I have a few work colleagues who live in the same area (within a mile or so) also saying their broadband connections are repeatedly dropping out the same as mine is.

0 Kudos