cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rennovation, moving socket to comms cupboard

gruck1984
Tuning in

Hi
As part of a major rennovation we are undertaking we would need to move an existing Fibre virgin external socket front of house and the internal socket to a comms cupboard where we would connect the router, we would then want a separate socket 4 metres away or so in the living room where we would like to have the box/tv. Anyone had any luck getting Virgin to do something like this? I can see some success on the forums, some people have had survey appointments setup and others have mentioned a fee levied which is expected. 

Any help/experiences appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Straight forward, should be no problems, cost will be £25. Part I don’t understand is the "exterior socket", I presume you mean the omnibox on the outside of your house, is this also to be moved, you don’t say where?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Straight forward, should be no problems, cost will be £25. Part I don’t understand is the "exterior socket", I presume you mean the omnibox on the outside of your house, is this also to be moved, you don’t say where?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks, sorry yes i do mean the omnibox i think (the brown external cable service box), at present this is located in the existing garage which will be demolished and replaced with a ground floor single extension, this we would like to move to the front of the house close to where the comms cupboard we will build will be located. So at the point the cable comes into the building from the omnibox i imagine we would ideally channel the cable in the wall 15cm or so and then have the internal socket... the rest as per below.

Thanks again for your helpful reply.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, omnibox can also be moved. If the cable from the street box to the new location is the same length or shorter, no problem. If the cable needs to be longer there are two options, join a new section with a gel box of pull a new cable from the street box. 

I think you would have great difficulty explaining to customer services what is required, so it’s probably best to wait for a VM staff member to get to your post, it will be two or three days probably.

Tudor

Thanks helpful, yes I have struggled a bit with CS team so will do as you recommend! Thanks 

Do you have fibre to your property? If so you'll need of course to backpower the ONT inside the relocated omni box.

A comms cupboard is an excellent idea, just make sure that you have at least a dual 13A socket, more might be wanted depending on what kit you plan to have there.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Many thanks roger_gooner for your reply, can you clarify what is meant by ‘backpower the ONT inside the relocated omni box.’? 

Yes plan is for 2x double 13a sockets in the cupboard. 

For FTTP the fibre terminates at the ONT inside the omni box. As the ONT does fibre-coax conversion it must be powered, which for domestic properties is done from a socket inside the property. 

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @gruck1984,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post on our forums.

Have you been able to speak to the team about getting an appointment booked in to get the equipment relocated?

Regards,

Steven_L

Hello, not yet, is that something that can be arranged?