cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing old telewest cables

mking007
Tuning in

I've searched the forum and seen this question come up before, but with different answers. I'm posting this in the hope that a moderator will see it and arrange for an engineer to visit. 

We're decorating a living room and I want to remove the old cables (see photo). We used to be with VM until recently. These cables were installed by Telewest years ago. An outside photo shows the entry into the living room. 

One option seems to be for a VM engineer to come and tidy them up. I'm not clear if I can just cut them myself...

I'd welcome any views.

Thanks

Michael

IMG_20211002_182107.jpgIMG_20211002_182039.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @mking007,

I will send you a private message so we can discuss this further.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can disconnect them from your front wall termination box (omnibox) where the drop cable comes up from the cabinet & fit a terminator cap.

You can then do what you wish with the internal cabling.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the reply.

I've googled an omnibox and will have a search tomorrow by following the cable. I know the cable goes from the back to the front of the house, but I don't remember seeing a box like that before. 

When I google "terminator caps" and getting a lot of Arnold Schwarzenegger material! 😂 Any links appreciated.

Thanks again

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

L-com F Type 75 Ohm Terminator - 10 Pack: Amazon.co.uk   These are the terminator caps you are looking for 🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I've followed the cable around the side of our house and to the front. There is no sign of an omnibox, or any sort of box, anywhere along the route. 

The cable appears to go underground and under paving stones at the front and towards the pavement and road. 

Does there have to be an omnibox? Could it be connected to something else and then to a local cabinet?

Hi @mking007,

Welcome back to our community forums.

Thank you for getting in touch with us regarding this cabling issue. We wouldn't typically advise removing these cables your self for health and safety reasons. This would also render your home un-serviceable for future occupants. We can arrange for a technician to come out to handle this however this may result in a call out fee. 

Are you happy to proceed this way? 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for the reply. 

Can you tell me how much the call out fee would be and what they would do?

Thanks

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @mking007,

I will send you a private message so we can discuss this further.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide