cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove unused phone line, just cut it?

Pukington
Joining in

I’ve recently moved into a new house. I use the existing virgin cable and tv lines. When I log into the superhub that I use in modem only mode it states “telephony ready”. I’m assuming this is setup for voip. 

The house has a phone line into the living room that’s unsightly draped around the front of the house, I’d like to remove this. I don’t have a home phone to test it but believe it’s unused since the hub states telephony ready. Nothing else is plugged into its socket. 

The inside the wall box looks like this:

6DF811B7-E4FE-4087-8593-86425BD0E49E.jpeg

Is there anything stopping me from cutting the two wires, and removing the unsightly cable that hangs on the front of my property?

Cheers. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You will have no problem just removing the thin crimped wire, only the phone as you have found. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Pukington, thanks for your post.

Yes that's right, your landline device connects straight to your Hub now which negates the need for a "traditional" phone line.

The cables you have provided photos of however, do not appear to serve the purpose for just the phone line so please do NOT cut these as you may disrupt your TV and Broadband service also.

What I can do for you though, is arrange a technician to come to the property to have a look at this for you, and also we can get the cables tidied up and a cover fitted too?

Please let me know if you'd like this and if so I'll pop you a PM with further details.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Pukington, thanks for your post.

Yes that's right, your landline device connects straight to your Hub now which negates the need for a "traditional" phone line.

The cables you have provided photos of however, do not appear to serve the purpose for just the phone line so please do NOT cut these as you may disrupt your TV and Broadband service also.

What I can do for you though, is arrange a technician to come to the property to have a look at this for you, and also we can get the cables tidied up and a cover fitted too?

Please let me know if you'd like this and if so I'll pop you a PM with further details.

Many thanks

Tom_W

thanks for the reply. I’m lenient to pay virgin to come round for what should be an easy job.

The photo doesn’t do it justice. Here are others, I’m talking about the phone line with the two wago style connectors, solid blue wire and white blue striped. Since they are not connected in the house I see no reason I can’t chop them back in the box?

294940A7-AF03-4C57-B07E-1457DF7123E7.jpeg

9376BE07-BBB2-49D4-8106-9DC9787A81A6.jpeg
The phone line is the that goes to the left in this picture above.

It enters the house like this:

78E5D777-3FDB-4E4B-AFE7-82490B671184.jpeg

And has this on the inside wall:

34BA7961-F2F3-4A2C-9477-DE9AA5630781.jpeg

I’m aware not to touch the co-ax cables. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There should be no charge for tidying up that omnibox as it’s VM’s property. The telephone wires can be removed at the same time. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If there is no active service impact to the cable routing or install it is a chargeable service at £25 for an engineer visit to make changes to the cabling.

It's worth saying that just because an Omnibox looks like it needs work once you take the cover off - it doesn't mean that it actually does.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

I have no need or want to tidy up the box. It’s fine, I removed the lid to see what was going on underneath. 

all I want to do is remove the wire that is an unused phone line that goes to the left of the last picture. It’s two wires as far as I can see. The two that are crimped in the box, nothing to do with all the coax. 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You will have no problem just removing the thin crimped wire, only the phone as you have found. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2