forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
ianjames
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Remove unused ISDN line coming in to house and reuse hole (or cable?) for virgin?

Hi,

Just bought a house with an unused ISDN line coming in through a drilled hole in the house wall on the 1st floor. We will never use it, nor bt. The hole comes in to the room where we would like Virgin installed for broadband only - an office room.

- Can the redundant ISDN cable just be cut, pulled through the hole, and the hole re-used to feed the virgin cable through?

- Is the ISDN cable possibly already the right kind of cable and could be reused by Virgin to make the install easier? It is a separate thicker brown cable than the other phone line cables in the house.

- To get to the hole mentioned, the cable goes up from the external bt box (where the brown virgin box would also be put), up the wall to the left of the front door, over the front door along a little ledge, under/into the adjoining garage roof, along the top of the internal garage wall, and in through an easily accesible hole. Are virgin installers fine to do that kind of 1st floor install?

Thanks!

Ian

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Christy_D
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Remove unused ISDN line coming in to house and reuse hole (or cable?) for virgin?

We wouldn't advise removing any cabling normally but if you did this yourself then we could potentially use that hole. Only if it was big enough for our coax to go through. 

It is advisable for us to fit a new point and leave the existing cabling from anyone else so its not damaged in anyway.

If you would like I can arrange you a site survey prior to the install to run through cable routing. 

Thanks

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Remove unused ISDN line coming in to house and reuse hole (or cable?) for virgin?

ISDN cable has nothing to do with virgin, and won't be use for any virgin installation.
for removal you would need to speak to BT, or whoever installed it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
ianjames
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Christy for getting back to me so quickly.

Yes if you could arrange that please.

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Note that most Virgin engineers do not carry ladders, so they can use an existing hole as long as they don't require ladders to reach it. They wouldn't remove existing cabling, but you could remove it yourself if the line is dead. 

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

some of them must carry ladders, as my installation has a point on the ground floor and a point on the first floor. i don't believe they will go higher than 1st floor though, but it's very common for 1st floor installations.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Christy_D
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi @ianjames 

I will pop you a private message to take your details

Thanks

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos