Menu
FlyingBattery
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Remove duplicate wall socket

I'm a current Virgin Media broadband subscriber. My house has two Virgin Media cable sockets, one in the living room which we are using and a second socket in an upstairs bedroom which we are not. Both sockets were put in by previous owners so I don't know how they're connected or where the cables go.

Basically I want to remove the upstairs socket as I'm currently re-decorating the room. But I don't want it's removal to cause issues with the remaining connection downstairs. How can I remove it?

20201202_102156.jpg

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Z92
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Remove duplicate wall socket

You would need a non-fault callout which is charged at £99. 

An engineer would come out and remove the old socket, they might also remove a splitter if one is fitted or install a terminator, and possibly change the signal levels do to there now being less cable. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Might be worth checking whether it is actually connected to any cable coming in from the outside - can yu see cable on the outside wall going in at the same point?

If so then it might be a good idea just to clean it up, decorate around it and just hide it with some drawers etc. This is just because if you ever want to use it to move your Hub or instal a VM TV box close to it sometimes in the future, it should just be a plug and play job.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
FlyingBattery
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks guys, sounds like it's gonna be more hassle than it's worth to remove it so I've just decorated around it.

Glad I checked though!

0 Kudos