cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removal of virgin media cables outside property

xadina
Tuning in

Hello,

I have just moved into a property that has virgin installed but we want the cables outside removed. There is a huge green pipe across my front garden that is a health and safety hazard in itself.

How do I get this removed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

wait here for VM they will look at things and refer it to an area field manager [afm] the result of that may or may not get you the result you want - some afm's will sort it others will ignore it and hope you get fed up and forget about it

post some images - you mention health and safety that can concentrate minds

but be prepared for VM to offer much and do little - give them chance and keep at them until something happens or not - give them a date you want it removed by - be realistic - if nothing happens remove it all yourself - theres no danger in doing that - the cable is not live in any way 

but by VM removing it you run the risk that the property will be marked unserviceable so if you wanted a VM install in the future it may not happen - you are better to keep the cable and get it buried that may be as difficult as getting it removed

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

wait here for VM they will look at things and refer it to an area field manager [afm] the result of that may or may not get you the result you want - some afm's will sort it others will ignore it and hope you get fed up and forget about it

post some images - you mention health and safety that can concentrate minds

but be prepared for VM to offer much and do little - give them chance and keep at them until something happens or not - give them a date you want it removed by - be realistic - if nothing happens remove it all yourself - theres no danger in doing that - the cable is not live in any way 

but by VM removing it you run the risk that the property will be marked unserviceable so if you wanted a VM install in the future it may not happen - you are better to keep the cable and get it buried that may be as difficult as getting it removed

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thanks, I'll get some picutres too.

The other issue is that we are in a conservation area, and the building shouldn't have been fitted with the cables to the front of the property - technically this has been allowed to be done by the previous owner illegally. If I get backing from the local council for removal too will that help?

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@xadina wrote:

Thanks, I'll get some picutres too.

The other issue is that we are in a conservation area, and the building shouldn't have been fitted with the cables to the front of the property - technically this has been allowed to be done by the previous owner illegally. If I get backing from the local council for removal too will that help?

it might - in truth i have no idea - see what VM have to say when they get here - as i say it will go to the afm who will do something or not

Tony.
Sacked VIP

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the service tees from the ducting in the road are installed at the front of the property, it is because the local authority have given permission for Virgin to do it there. As to what is left showing on the front property, that is a matter between the property owner & Virgin.

It is certainly the case that cabling should not be left exposed at ground level in any case, & these should either be buried correctly or removed.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi xadina, 

Welcome to the Community and thank you for getting in touch. 

Our apologies if the cables or ducts have surfaced, I appreciate this is not a good look for a garden and in some cases a hazard. With that being the case, I would be happy to speak to the field team to see if there is anything we can do to assist in getting these cables removed. 

As -tony- has mentioned, you do have the option to remove these yourself but there are risks that this could cause installation delays or deem the property unserviceable in the future. 

I will pop you over a quick message to grab some details for the property and we can go from there. This message will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of this page. 

Speak soon, 

Nat

Thank you!

I'm fine with not having it in the future.. apologies! 😄

Not sure if our cables link up with neighbours which is why we haven't touched them. I've replied to your DM. Thanks!

avonryans
Joining in

Me too, doubt if functioning as on top of soil and green cover is damaged in several places is a real hazard and was here when moved in . I will never use or need VM. VM please Remove , it's very old cable and brown outside box. 

@xadina the cable which runs from the street to your house won't impact your neighbours - well it shouldn't if VM have done a proper job of the installation, either way, not your problem, just cut the cable at the boundary of your property, unscrew the box from the front wall and put the whole lot into a skip!

@avonryans ditto.

Hi @avonryans, thanks for your post although I'm sorry you're having similar problems.

Are you able to kindly post a screenshot of this for further investigation, and then I can drop you a further PM after this?

Many thanks

Tom_W