cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removal of outside cabling

digone52
Joining in

Hello.

We're having the outside of our house reworked (paths and drive) starting next Monday and we have an unused VM cable running across the paths that will be put in place, so a trip hazard will ensue.

Can someone please arrange for the Virgin Media cabling and box to be removed from the property?

IMG_20211119_112705_resized_20211119_112835511.jpg

IMG_20211119_112655_resized_20211119_112836121.jpg

Many thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

LittleMick73
Superstar
Hi the first thing to ask is you a virgin customer, because I think you will find it difficult if you are not, secondly this is a public forum so not a direct link with a virgin person, they do pick up threads in rotation so it may take 3 or 4 days before they respond and as you say this is happening on Monday your best bet is to phone 0345 454 1111. Regards Micky

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

VM's approach to this is a little erratic, and whilst I'd hope they can help, I'd be very surprised if they could get this sorted in the necessary timescale.

Your options:

1) Hope VM pick this up and move quickly.  Prayer is usually as productive as trying to speak to anyone.

2) Ask your contractors to carefully put the green conduit under the paths but leave it connected, although this will depend on how much slack there is.  

3) Get your contractors to carefully work around the cable leaving it above ground, and then ask VM to come and remediate the subsequent trip hazard.

4) Get your contractors to remove the wall box, cable and cut it at the property boundary.  You have no obligation to VM, and they have no legal rights to leave unrequired equipment on your property if you don't want it.  In the strictest sense you should offer any removed kit back to VM as it is their property, although they never reuse the bits that you might remove here.  It is worth being aware that if you just get builders to rip it all out, then it may be a lot more difficult to get reconnected if you decide in due course that you might like to use VM.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Andrew-G wrote:

<snip>     It is worth being aware that if you just get builders to rip it all out, then it may be a lot more difficult to get reconnected if you decide in due course that you might like to use VM.

Yes, I believe VMO2 mark the property as "unserviceable" for any future installs.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you ever so much for the replies. Much appreciated.

The white box on the outside wall of the house was exposed to the elements for years until being cable-tied shut by a VM engineer a few years ago, and when I opened it up it was full of dirt, snails and spiders!

For the moment I've coiled up the cable going to the street which is in the green plastic surround and put it into a plastic bag. Hopefully that may be good enough?

I suspect that I'll throw the white box from the wall - it's so grubby I can't think it'll be reused.

For the record if anyone is interested, I had been with Nynex -> Cable and Wireless -> NTL World -> Virgin Media so with cable probably for 25 to 30 years, and was still an extremely happy customer. However, when all I wanted was BT sport and no other TV channels, there was no real alternative I could see other than going to BT, solely on cost. With Virgin you needed to have the large TV package to have BT Sport, and it was a waste of money and a waste of a Tivo box. I'm still with Virgin for the family mobiles, and BT seems fine for broadband and landline.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@digone52 wrote:

However, when all I wanted was BT sport and no other TV channels, there was no real alternative I could see other than going to BT, solely on cost. With Virgin you needed to have the large TV package to have BT Sport, and it was a waste of money and a waste of a Tivo box. I'm still with Virgin for the family mobiles, and BT seems fine for broadband and landline.

Not strictly true. The BT Sports channels are available as a standalone "add-on" to any of the available TV packages apart from Maxit/Full House where they are included as standard. With premium channels it is the channel owner that dictates the packaging arrangements, so as with Sky, BT are always going to favour their own paying customers.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @digone52

Welcome back to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with getting this sorted. 

I apricate that today is the day you are having your paths sorted,  I can arrange of this to be sorted should you need? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M