cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removal of old redundant cable

jrich1977
Joining in

I see that Virgin had been very helpful to another member of the community when they asked about removing a green cable from their garden.

I have the same issue, where I would like to have the cable removing from our front garden.
I have slightly berried the cable, but I need the connection removing from our wall so it can be demolished and re-built.

If this is possible, I would love to be able to speak to someone about it.

I live in Liverpool,  so if someone is in the area and would like to contact me to discuss that would be amazing.

Many thanks 

Regards, James

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Are you a VM customer currently, or plan to be in the future?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Unfortunately we do not plan to be virgin customers 

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

wait here for VM but their history of getting something done is not good - its usually referred to an area field manager [AFM] and they come in helpful to forget it

you may get unhelpful posts telling you its a utility so you cannot remove it - thats rubbish but give them chance you might just get an AFM at the upper scale of helpful

be a polite nuisance and give them a timescale to do the work - if it happens great - if not remove it yourself  

Tony.
Sacked VIP

@-tony- wrote:

wait here for VM but their history of getting something done is not good - its usually referred to an area field manager [AFM] and they come in helpful to forget it

you may get unhelpful posts telling you its a utility so you cannot remove it - thats rubbish but give them chance you might just get an AFM at the upper scale of helpful

be a polite nuisance and give them a timescale to do the work - if it happens great - if not remove it yourself  

Indeed, you might or might not even get an official response from VM but let’s give them the benefit of the doubt. If they do send someone down to remove the cables, what they will do is cut the cable at the boundary’s of your properly, remove the omnibox from the wall and possibly take the cable away - nothing really that you couldn’t do yourself.

What’s your timescale for demolishing the wall? Personally, I’d say you have asked on an official VM channel, if you get no response or a pointless, we’ve escalated this to a area manager so wait for them to get back to you, then just wait until the day before the work is to be done and take a pair of wire cutters to the cable and a screwdriver/lump hammer to the omnibox on the wall.

Absolute worst case scenario,’oh no some vandals have come round in the night and cut the cable, smashed the box on the wall, and unscrewed it for good measure and thrown it into a skip. Why no I didn’t hear anything at all and unfortunately my CCTV camera system isn’t working otherwise we’d have evidence of the miscreants at work’.

Hello jrich1977

Thanks for posting your query in regards to removing the cabling and fixtures from your wall and property, we appreciate you taking the time to raise this via the forums and welcome to the community.

For this particular query, we wouldn't recommend removing this yourself. The reason we don't recommend this is the potential issues it can cause with the network in your area to other customers. It would also mean, and I appreciate you stating you aren't interested in our services, any future installation would require extra work and cause potential delays.

I will send you a Private Message to get some details from you to raise this with the local Area Field Manager to take a look and advise accordingly. 

Rob