cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removal of old external cabling and box

grovepark77
Joining in

Not a Virgin customer but I have an old cable box without a cover and a number of wires coming out of it going to various places on the front of my house. All extremely unsightly - assume from other threads on here that I’d be wasting my time trying to get VM to remove it all and can do so myself?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can take out everything back to the external box. VM will provide you with a cap for the incoming cabinet drop, but they will not remove the drop unless it poses a safety hazard. As with BT Openreach lines, these are classed as a utility feed to the property, so are left in for possible future use.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

22 REPLIES 22

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can take out everything back to the external box. VM will provide you with a cap for the incoming cabinet drop, but they will not remove the drop unless it poses a safety hazard. As with BT Openreach lines, these are classed as a utility feed to the property, so are left in for possible future use.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @grovepark77,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first post. 

Thank you for letting us know. We do not usually come out to remove cable unless there is a health and safety risk. Are the cables loose/ exposed? Are you able to provide a picture?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi, thanks for your response. No immediate H&S issue but the cable will need capping at ground level. Is that something you can arrange? Picture below. 

DB3DC5FF-08C7-431E-AFDB-392BDE1EAB7E.jpeg

Thanks for providing that @grovepark77.

I can make an enquiry with our field team to see if it is possible to do so. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Please look out for the purple envelope on the top right hand corner and get back to me when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

slarosa
Joining in

Hi, 

i have the same problem, 

Cables have been left loose and exposed and it's a health and safety risk. 

Could you please come and remove them?

Thank you

Salvo

20210423_094408-01.jpeg

Hi Salvo,

Welcome to the Community Forums. 

I'm sorry to see that the cabling has been left in this way - can you please confirm if you are/are not an active Virgin Media customer? 

Many thanks,

Beth

Beth

Hi there, 

I am not an active virgin media customer, I used to have VM TV and Internet some years ago,

Salvo

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@grovepark77 wrote:

Hi, thanks for your response. No immediate H&S issue but the cable will need capping at ground level. Is that something you can arrange? <snip>

You can unscrew the cable (coming from the ground in your picture) from the splitter and cap it with a terminator, such as below;

electrosmart Pack of 10 75 Ohm F Plug Type Terminators: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Once it's capped, all other cables and splitter can be removed.

Hi Salvo,

If you're unable to do the above as Adduxi has suggested, I'll pop you over a PM so I can take some details 🙂

Thanks,

Beth

Beth