cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removal of VM external cables

martalberto74
Joining in

I am not a Virgin Media customer anymore but have a box and cabling going across my front garden which I need to remove.

Is it safe for me to do so or I should book a VM engineer to do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

In the best of VM traditions, you might get one from a number of random answers to this question. VM's default answer in its T&Cs is that they don't remove old cables. If the cables are causing a safety issue, then VM might come and remove them or tidy them for you. In some occasional cases from some past topics on here, they have agreed to remove cables but this is typically just cutting the cable.

FWIW, my own approach would be to do a DIY tidy-up of the installation but without removing or cutting any of the wires. Should you ever want to come back to VM for any reason, then having the cable still in place will be of great benefit. VM seems to be having great difficulties at present installing or re-installing cables for new customers with long delays reported for some on the forums. If you cut the cable and a new one cannot readily be installed then you may render your property unserviceable to VM in the future.

If you think you have H&S grounds for removal or want further info from the forum team, put up some photos of the problem and what you want doing about it. One of the forum team will respond to this post in a day or two to give you the official VM response.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

In the best of VM traditions, you might get one from a number of random answers to this question. VM's default answer in its T&Cs is that they don't remove old cables. If the cables are causing a safety issue, then VM might come and remove them or tidy them for you. In some occasional cases from some past topics on here, they have agreed to remove cables but this is typically just cutting the cable.

FWIW, my own approach would be to do a DIY tidy-up of the installation but without removing or cutting any of the wires. Should you ever want to come back to VM for any reason, then having the cable still in place will be of great benefit. VM seems to be having great difficulties at present installing or re-installing cables for new customers with long delays reported for some on the forums. If you cut the cable and a new one cannot readily be installed then you may render your property unserviceable to VM in the future.

If you think you have H&S grounds for removal or want further info from the forum team, put up some photos of the problem and what you want doing about it. One of the forum team will respond to this post in a day or two to give you the official VM response.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi martalberto, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you're having an issue with cabling. I think goslow has pretty much summed everything up. 

We wouldn't look to remove any cables unless there is a health and safety risk. Pop a picture of the cables here and we can refer this to the Area Field Manager. From here if we need to step in then we can. 

If there is no health and safety risk and you wish to remove the cables then you can do this yourself. 

Keep us posted on how you get on. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs