cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote triggering surround sound?

Klegacy
Tuning in

Hi Guys, I’m really bemused and potentially really disappointed. 

I have just got Virgin tv installed, having been with sky 15 odd years. 

My remote is not triggering my surround sound? 

360 box, connected to surround sound l, along with Apple TV.

the way this has always worked with skynor any other item plugged into my surround sound is press home button, start button or menu button on any remote and it will send a signal to switch. 

just plugged in the 360 box, the only way to do this, it to have one power turned on, and **bleep** down everything and then restart it with the virgin remote! 

if I turn off one power, turning the power off and on on the virgin box will do absolute nothing! 

is there something I am missing to get a signal to send to my system without having to turn the box and in return my tv, surround sound, speakers the lot off and on?

seems crazy trying to be quirky with ‘one power’

and having no option for home to trigger this.

unless I am missing something?

any help be greatly appreciated .

Thank you 

8 REPLIES 8

carl_pearce
Community elder

Hi Carl, 

thanks for the response. 

I did watch this video to ensure everything was right. 
infact the remote was already automatically paired with the surround sound (i unpaired and re done manually to ensure all was ok).

The home button on the remote does not make the box wake up and/or send a signal to the device (tv/surround sound/receiver etc) to make the device automatically change source.

the only way I can do this, is to power down the virgin box, which in turn powers down the tv etc and then restart it all. 

Any device, be it Xbox, PlayStation, Apple TV, even a chromecast, sends a signal upon pressing home/menu/standby etc to the tv to change the source, without having to make it all shut down.

the issue is the home button not triggering the tv/receiever etc to change on. And you HAVING to use the power button ok the virgin remote. Which if your box is not already off, means everything has to go off first. (Because you need the one power setting enabled).

Sorry if this is confusing or I have missed something, I sincerely appreciate the effort, I just can not believe virgin would have this like this. 

this might sound easier.

imagine I am now on my PlayStation, to make the source change to virgin, I have to turn the virgin box off via the virgin remote, which powers everything down, to them power it all back on together.

Any other box going, the home menu or certain buttons will send a signal to the tv to change the source without powering down and back on. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The button in the bottom right hand corner of the 360 remote changes the source to HDMI1,2, 3 etc.

360 remote360 remote

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Maybe another remote all together ?  Contour 8 Remote Control by One For All (URC1280)

Whilst I don't have VM TV, I use a Harmony Remote for all my A/V equipment and it works very well.  Unfortunately it's no longer available from Harmony.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Dave,

Thank you for that image, I think is the problem.

Upon finding this source button and playing around, it only changes the tv source, not the AVR’s.

All my equipment runs into the AVR, and then the feed triggers this to change to tv/game/blue ray etc. 

This only allows me to change the TV from HDMI 1-2 etc. Unfortunately they seem to have missed the fact that many people run their set ups into a full receiver, that then only sends 1 feed to the tv. 

Adduxi, I may look into all in one remotes, not a bad shout if I can not work this out! 

Really appreciate the time again guys your taking to reply, always find it nice how strangers can offer help to one another. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @Klegacy 

Other people on the forums have used 

/one-for-all-evolve-2-urc7125-universal-remote-control 

also the harmony remote, which I believe is being phased out.

The two I mentioned have the 360 set top box under the names of  Ziggo Mediabox Next  and Ziggo DCX960

I'm not sure if they'll control your other equipment but they do control the 360.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Wondering if I can go through the settings in the Marantz Avr and make it more ‘sensitive’ to any signal change coming from desired input.

ie if it sees I have changed channel on the virgin box it will select that source, instead of the standard reading of power on/off from one of the feeds coming into it .