cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relatively new customer - Already 4x outages, looking for recommendations on best route to resolution

Wadded
Tuning in

Hi All,

I'm a relatively new Virgin Media broadband customer (end of Nov '21), switching over from Sky Fibre Broadband (55Mbps) to Volt Gig 1 based on looking for more bandwidth.

Whilst I was ultimately seeking more bandwidth and only Virgin could offer me that, I was concerned about the VM service reliability and as importantly customer service if things go south.  I thought at least I did my homework on the 1st part by getting seal of approval on the stability from 2x friends in my village who use VM without issue.

Here I am barely 2x months in and I've already experienced 4x outages, all of which I've noted days and times for the all important time when it comes to reporting to support.  This far exceeds any outages I experienced with Sky in years of use of their service.  I'm already regretting my decision to move, as much as I love Virgin Media when things work as they should.  So hoping the community can offer some help here!

I'm confident 2x of the outages I experienced are nationwide VM outages as were widely reported (02/12/21 4:30-6:30pm & 12/01/22 3:30pm - 4:30pm).  All be it ironically my 2x friends referenced above continued to work without issue.  2x additional outages then seem to be confined to just me (15/12/21 11:10am & 18/01/22 am and 9pm).  I suspect these issues related to my hub as explained below and or local area/cabling issue.  So I'm looking for advice on the easiest way to try and remedy without going through the pain of talking to a scripted call centre and ridiculous questions that even my kids would have ruled out before raising an issue.

I have been supplied with the Virgin Hub 4 and using it in Modem mode with a Ubiquiti Amplifi Alien Mesh Router kit.  The Ubiquiti kit is rock solid and I used without a single hitch with Sky Broadband.  

On each occasion I've had an issue as mentioned above the Virgin Hub status LED has changed to red and often a single reboot will fix it, other times I have to just sit and wait.  Additionally in this state my Ubiquiti kit will complain that it has no WAN IP address and I'm able to ping as far as the Ubiquiti Router and no further.

If using in Modem mode is there any easy way I could log into the hub at the point of the outage to capture logs or view any status?  I have this evening performed a remote status check via the Virgin Media website which errors out and suggest to try later?

If anybody is able to give me any technical advice on potential troubleshooting for future outages,  as well as the easiest route to try and get a resolution including an engineer visit to confirm my cabling and Hub is good as that's my gut feeling where the issue lies currently.

Many thanks in advance!

12 REPLIES 12

Here is the current status of the Hub, including the network log at the bottom of the PDF (Only shows events after the factory reset at 1:40-1:55pm today).

Also here is the current BQM, ignore the 100% packet loss at 1:40-1:55pm 

Thanks for the continued help!

Hi Wadded,

Thanks for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to hear you have been experiencing a few outages, I have had a look at things our end however wasn't able to see any issues, I could only see so much due to our Router being in Modem mode, so we can run further checks, please put our Router back into Router mode and remove yours?

Regards

Paul.

Thanks Paul. Based on the other info in this post in regards to accessing the logs, I'll await another outage to gather more data first. Then at that point switch the Hub into Router mode as you suggest. Thank you for your assistance. 👍🏻