cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red power light on hub 3

JohnMcG2
Joining in

I have a permanent red light on the front on my hub 3.

I phoned customer services, the first agent said switch off for an hour and it will be ok, despite the forum saying it is and overheating issue. I did this and the light came back on.

I phoned back, another agent said the red light is not an issue. I asked for email confirmation of this as I'm worried an overheating issue presents a fire hazard. She refused to do so.

What is the correct position with a red light on the hub?

5 REPLIES 5

Jonny-M
Fibre optic

It's overheating:
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/virgin-media-wifi-not-working
(Expand the "Understand what the lights mean on the WiFi Hub" section)

Not surprised the phone support are clueless. Wait for VM staff to pick this up and arrange a hub swap.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This thread has been escalated for a priority staff response. The red light issue is a known problem with a batch of hubs, but as this may mask a real overheat problem they are being swapped out anyway.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @JohnMcG2,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're facing some issues with the router displaying a red light. When this occurs, we ask for customers to perform the following steps.

• Turn the power switch off on the back of the Hub.
• Ensure the Hub is upright, in a well-ventilated location, and, if at all possible, out of direct sunlight.
• Then use the power switch to turn the unit back on. The Hub should now operate normally.

If the issue remains after performing those steps, please respond to the private message that I'll be sending to you shortly and we can have a closer look.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

I have done these steps repeatedly asked still have the red light at all times.

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @JohnMcG2,

Thank you for getting back to me via private message. As discussed, due to the issues you're experiencing I've arranged for a technician appointment to go ahead.

I'm unable to confirm the date/time of the booking publicly, but you can check and manage/reschedule if needed via your My Virgin Media online account.

Let us know how the visit goes for you.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!