cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red light on SuperHub 3 in modem mode

Mark-Guildford
On our wavelength

Hi. I’m using my SuperHub 3 in modem-only mode. It’s working, but the light at the bottom is solid red, which the Virgin Media website says could be a sign of overheating. The website says it should be solid magenta. Please could somebody from Virgin Media respond? I tried using the website chatbot, but I kept going round and round in circles, with no option to chat with a real himan being.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Please see a photo attached.

It doesn’t feel abnormally hot at all.

I called Virgin Media technical support a few days ago, and they said that if it’s in modem mode, then any colour which looks magenta / red / pink is OK, so long as it doesn’t feel like it’soverheating. So I didn’t take any further action on this.

But I think that the information on your website on this issue of what the different light colours mean is highly misleading, and very confusing for your customers. I would strongly recommend that you make your website clearer.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As long as the hub is not hot it’s probably ok. The LED can certainly seem red to some people. Mine started as magenta, but with age looked more red.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Mark-Guildford

Welcome back to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making this post concerning the colour of the light on your SuperHub 3.

If you are using your SuperHub 3 in Modem Mode, then the light should be magenta but this can look very similar to red. Are you able to post a picture of your Hub here so we can take a look?

Does the Hub feel hot to touch at all?

Best wishes,

Serena

Please see a photo attached.

It doesn’t feel abnormally hot at all.

I called Virgin Media technical support a few days ago, and they said that if it’s in modem mode, then any colour which looks magenta / red / pink is OK, so long as it doesn’t feel like it’soverheating. So I didn’t take any further action on this.

But I think that the information on your website on this issue of what the different light colours mean is highly misleading, and very confusing for your customers. I would strongly recommend that you make your website clearer.

B3FFE20A-1929-4B94-854A-CAA5A060A1F9.jpeg

Photo didn’t go through last time, so I’m trying again, this time with a smaller file size 

Hi Mark-Guildford,

If you are running the Hub in Modem Mode, then this shouldn't be an issue. Could you please confirm that your Hub is hot to the touch? Could you also confirm if you are having any issues with your broadband connection?

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

It is not hot to touch, and it is working fine. I am getting over 300 Mbps, and the connection is stable.

In that case, this should not be something to worry about @Mark-Guildford.

We will however pass this feedback on to the relevant teams in regards to the website.

Also please continue to monitor your service and do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Looks magenta to me, not red.

Hub 5 Modem Mode, Asus XT8
My Broadband Ping - Gig1 Modem Mode

It actually looks slightly different in real life, compared to the photo. It also looks slightly different depending on which angle you’re looking from. So it all makes an even stronger argument for VM to design their SuperHubs with less confusing lights. For example flashing red/pink/magenta rather than solid red/pink/magenta