cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended way for engineer to fix trip hazard loose cable?

tremolo
Dialled in

Morning all. I have an engineer visiting tomorrow to fix a loose cable, the worst part being a trip hazard on part of my property that's right next to the pavement.

Trip hazard - my property on the left, pavement on the rightTrip hazard - my property on the left, pavement on the right

The cable emerges from the ground exactly on the boundary between my property (to the left) and the pavement (to the right). Ideally, I would like the engineer to lift the stone slabs and bury the cable underneath but I suspect this might not be possible. The second best solution would probably be to push the cable into the convenient groove you can see just below it and cement over the top.

Do any of you knowledgeable people have any input on this please? For example, do engineers routinely carry cement (or something similar) with them and would this be a viable option? Failing that, what other types of covering might be available because I'm looking for a permanent solution and something that will protect the cable from vandals, who are unfortunately quite common round here. My guess is that the cable was somehow fixed into the groove during the original installation and yet, over the years, it has worked its way loose.

Any suggestions gratefully received! Thanks.

(PS I already have a long thread from last week about gardening work across the exposed cable but thought it would be better to make a new one because this is a much more specific issue - hope that's ok, mods.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

tremolo
Dialled in

Job's a good 'un!

Cemented cableCemented cable

Two guys turned up yesterday, cut the conduit away and cemented over the cable in less than half an hour. Very impressed.

Thanks to everyone who posted for your help and advice with this, especially Gareth_L if you're reading.

See you in another few years! 😉

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

lotharmat
Community elder
If it is a trip-hazard - I believe they will 'make it good'

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are doing gardening work, could you not just dig out the existing groove in the cement and bury the cable yourself?  I would suggest you are correct and that's how it was originally.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

tremolo
Dialled in

Thanks, it's definitely a trip hazard so I hope the engineer does make it good 🙂 (It's actually in a flexible plastic conduit right now which is an improvement but not a proper fix.)

I'm not a gardener or much of a DIYer myself, the job was done in one day by a professional with a heavy digging machine! I could probably manage to cement over the cable myself but not sure if VM would approve...

tremolo
Dialled in

Job's a good 'un!

Cemented cableCemented cable

Two guys turned up yesterday, cut the conduit away and cemented over the cable in less than half an hour. Very impressed.

Thanks to everyone who posted for your help and advice with this, especially Gareth_L if you're reading.

See you in another few years! 😉

Awesome! - Glad it's sorted!

Thanks. Me too mate! As you predicted, they "made it good" 😆

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for letting us know its been resolved @tremolo 

I will pass on your thanks to @Gareth_L.

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Thanks Zak. I didn't realise you could @ people on this forum or I'd have done it myself!

I believe only forum staff and VIPs can @tremolo