cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received Hub 4 instead of hub 5 + Representative lied on the phone + Poor gaming performance

Beetlejuice
Tuning in

I had a very unpleasant experience (still have) while upgrading to a 1gig with Virgin media. I used to be on the M500 package with Hub 3. Everything worked very well, and I used my Hub 3 in modem mode with my Netduma r2 router. At the end of my contract, I decided to upgrade to 1 gig as it was pretty much the same price. The gentleman on the phone told me that with the upgraded 1gig package, I will get the new Hub 5 router. He has told me that he checked on his side, and Hub 5 router is in stock. The parcel with the router misses its original delivery date, and a couple of days later, I receive my new router. It ends up being Hub 4. I immediately call Virgin, and the lady on the phone tells me, "oh, you were supposed to get Hub 4". This really frustrated me because it was a lie. Even on my bill, it shows "Virgin Media Hub 5 (Upgrade) £0.00".

The whole thing is made even worse because online gaming is now pretty impossible because of the lags. I didn't have this issue before on m500 and hub 3. However, now every time I am on an online match(for example, COD), I would get random package losses, and I would lag for a couple of seconds. I've tried using the Hub 4 in modem mode and router mode. Nothing helps.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Beetlejuice

Sorry to hear of the connection issues and problems with your Hub 4, we appreciate you raising this via the forums.

From checking the connection and equipment we can see some issues with the power levels. This will need a technician to attend. I will send you a Private Message to get some more details to arrange this.

Rob

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Client62
Hero

This is an object lesson in doing homework before ordering Gig 1 for game play.

Hub 5 are out of stock. That might be a good thing.

A lesson indeed. Very frustrating, though. I do realise that speed is not essential when it comes to games. However, it still shouldn’t be a worse experience than what I had before. It also seems like I am not the only one with this issue - Hub 4 lagging in the games. Some people even had engineer visits and that makes me hopeless in getting this fixed. And the whole lying thing... 

There is also an evident lack of communication regarding when I am going to get Hub 5, which was advertised and promised to me. The second lady, the one I spoke to after the lying incident was like “Yeah, you’ll get it” - when? Is there a queue? Where am I in the queue? Why when I was signing on to the contract the representative saw it in stock and ordered it for me however I ended up getting the hub 4? This is nuts

Are you wired up or using WiFi?

It was a while ago now so I forget whether it was the 3 or 4 but I had big problems trying to play FIFA online before I wired everything up; after a lot of research it turned out the hub was constantly flicking between various channels, I think (again struggling to remember) I just had to specifically set a channel for it to use and it completely fixed it.

Appreciate this is sort of half missing advice and might not even be for your hub but worth looking in to it

Thanks for your reply!

Everything is connected through ethernet.

Hub 4 (modem mode) -> Netduma R2 Router -> my PC

This setup used to work perfectly when I had Hub 3. Since upgrading to 1gig broadband with Hub 4, I have started having packet loss issues. I've reset my devices a few times, and I've tried Hub 4 in router mode before connecting to my own router and using it in modem mode. Nothing helps. I think Hub 4 has issues with the package loss/stuttering that was absent in Hub 3. That's why I need my promised Hub 5 because Hub 4 seems to be the point of failure in my setup. 

The hub4 isn't necessarily a problem but given the testing you have done then the hub may be faulty. I had a hub4 for about 18 months which worked very well in modem mode.

You might be right and there is an issue with my Hub 4 specifically. I think they should send me a new router and preferably the one that was advertised and promised to me. 

By the way, this is where in my bill it says I am supposed to get Hub 5.

Screenshot 2023-02-01 191045.png

Hi Beetlejuice

Sorry to hear of the connection issues and problems with your Hub 4, we appreciate you raising this via the forums.

From checking the connection and equipment we can see some issues with the power levels. This will need a technician to attend. I will send you a Private Message to get some more details to arrange this.

Rob