cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-wire router

robsmith1993
Joining in

Does anybody know how much it would cost for my router to be wired into an upstairs bedroom, it is currently downstairs so I’m using WiFi and would like all the devices in the bedroom to be connected to Ethernet. Also the best point of contact to get this arranged, thankyou 

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Its £25 for a rewire - just call in as usual to book it - or a VM person can do this when they get here in a few days (post-Christmas now ?)

Another DIY option is to run some Cat5e/6a ethernet cable from the Hub and attach a ~£15 unmanaged switch with 5-8 GB ports on the other end of the cable and connect them to that.

Or you could also try a pair of powerline adapters - if your mains circuitry is suitable - and connect into the upstairs powerline unit by short ethernet cables.  My lad connects his consoles and gaming PC in his bedroom like that and has no issues at all

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @robsmith1993,

Welcome back! Thanks for posting.

I can see that the correct answer has been given by @jbrennand.

Did you arrange this already? If not let me know.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

no i haven't arranged this yet and would like to, thanks 

The £25 non-fault call out charge is a bargain for most changes, and there's nothing inherently wrong with a hub installed upstairs (mine is, albeit in modem mode with a mesh wifi system).  However, before going ahead consider the consequences of the change you're making.  You want your upstairs devices on ethernet, but to do that you say you want to move the wifi hub.  That may degrade the wifi signal throughout the downstairs - may or may not matter, but give that some thought.  VM hubs don't have a good reputation for wifi coverage.  Think about the coax cable routing - you can see where it needs to go, you're happy with that, with any wall drilling, and with a black cable being clipped to the wall for a long run?  On painted walls that can look ugly, and on rendered finishes and solid wall insultation the finish can be damaged by cable clips and drilling.  If powered on, the hub LEDs can be a distraction if the bedroom is used for sleeping.  Do you have a VOIP landline connected to the hub?  VM are progressively converting all landlines to VOIP, that means that (1) the hub needs to be powered on to receive phone calls, and (2) may raise issues for phone wiring if you've got the hub away from the main house phone.   And finally, you're confident that any issues you want to address by using ethernet are in fact down to wifi, and not a noise issue on the broadband? 

No problem @robsmith1993

I will send you a PM now so we can look into this. 

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of the screen alerting you to a new message.

Thank you.