cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Missing Wall Socket

Marionetking
Tuning in

Hi everyone, new costumer here!

Yesterday I received the Quick Start package(sent to the wrong address BTW...)and I was excited to connect it, besides I had been told the previous tenant had Virgin Media... but I found out the wall socket is branded differently and the cable can't fit...actually there's a cable sticking out of the wall, is it related somewhat?:

IMG_20220504_234239.jpg

I hope to get help as soon as possible, it's been weeks without internet...

Thank you in advance!

11 REPLIES 11

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM's network is a mashup of other previous companies, so the box could be Telewest or NTL etc.etc.  so that cable could be correct.  You can either disconnect that short cable from the box and attach the Quickstart cable or get one of these - https://www.diy.com/departments/slx-f-type-satellite-cable-coupler/5028422001905_BQ.prd

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It's cheap enough to give it a try 🧐 Thanks for the advice!

PS: to be accurate, the cable comes out from the wall next to the socket.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Cannot see the fitting clearly, but it looks like a female standard tv coax.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

photo does not tell the whole story p post a better picture of the connector taken from the side and also a picture of the wall socket

branding on the wall box matters not if its one of the old companies and why will the cable not fit - photos will tell more

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Wall socket: 

IMG_20220505_182605.jpg

 Outside(if of any help):

IMG_20220505_184235.jpg

And yes, one of you is right, the cable is just a TV coax 😅 Sorry for misleading you.

I'm afraid I need of an engineer...

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The ‘Master Socket 5C’ is OpenReach for phone/ADSL Connection, not use by VM.

The outside omnibox seems to have a splitter and two white coax which must go somewhere, can you trace these?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

It looks like they go upstairs, serving the other flats, gosh

flats can be connected in all sorts of ways - VM do not always install separate cables from the cabinet for each user so it may be that they will simply change the splitter and add your line - should not affect the signal in any way 

if they have allowed quick start then your flat has been connected in the past so worth looking for any more external boxes but if you find nothing you need a tech to sort it

theres at least one disconnected cable in the box - maybe that is/was to your flat and it was disconnected in the past

Tony.
Sacked VIP

I looked for more boxes in every nook and cranny, indoor and outdoor, nothing. Indeed, in the past the previous tenant had VM, that's the reason I've chosen it, thinking doing so would have 'fast track' the procedure to get internet...a merely illusion.