cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Hub 5: Our first ever WiFi 6 broadband router

Tweedriver
Joining in

I’ve just had a garbled call from VM telling me a superhub 5 is on its way. No request from me to have one. Thing is, I don’t really want it. I’ve a SH2 which works just fine on my 200/20 service. My WiFi is serviced by a mesh network, so I don’t care about the SH’s wireless performance.
Am I ok to leave the new SH5 in a corner unused when it arrives? Or are they trying to get SH2s off the network and I’ll end up in a mess if I don’t ultimately plug in the SH5? 

Has the issue of not being able to change the LAN IP address range been fixed yet? I use the 10.x.x.x. Range

21 REPLIES 21

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@legacy1 wrote:

@jem101 wrote:

@BMWCHUBB wrote:
send it my way please.

Seriously?

works fine in modem mode if all else fails

how would you know - you posted elsewhere that you would like a 5 so your comment is based on nothing

Tony.
Sacked VIP

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@-tony- wrote:

@legacy1 wrote:

@jem101 wrote:

@BMWCHUBB wrote:
send it my way please.

Seriously?

how would you know - you posted elsewhere that you would like a 5 so your comment is based on nothing

How else could VM send them hub 5 out if modem mode didn't work.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Been on the phone today to try to cancel the SH5, but it seems to be on its way already. I’ve been advised to just to not install it. I enquired about the existing SH2 being disconnected and was informed that “notes on the system” will prevent this. Not sure how much faith I have in this, will have to see. It is rather sharp practice ringing me up in the evening telling me this “upgrade” is on its way without even asking me if I want it. Then finding out things like the lack of reliability and unchangeable LAN address range is the unpleasantly tasting icing on the cake. I appreciate that those with SH3 and SH4 modems might see this as an improvement, but I’m quite happy with my SH2 which rarely puts a foot wrong. I guess ultimately I may have to change as the SH2 doesn’t support the latest changes to the network, but they need to make the SH5 work properly first. Happily the CityFibre dig is getting nearer…..

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Tweedriver

Sorry to hear this

Can I please send you s private message so I can take a look at this for you 

If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Andrew-G wrote:

Well, here's the last 24 hours of my connection with a Hub 5 in modem mode, and this has been happening about every other day since it was connected.   <snip>

Yes, that is pretty bad, and I'm sure your are fed up!   Time to get the Hub 3 back?  As for my Hub 5, it is better on the BQM average latency, but then again, I've been very fortunate with NTL/VM as my bb very, very rarely has faults.  It could be I live in a less populated area, so perhaps the infrastructure is not overloaded?

Hope you get it sorted one way or another.  I've noticed Openreach are back in my area, so maybe FTTP is not too far away ........

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Tweedriver

Thanks for those details

The Hub5 are sometimes sent out if a customer has taken a new deal or re contracted

I have cancelled the activation part here so its not going to knock the hub2 off 

However the Hub is in transit now, which I am not able to stop

If you refuse the Hub it will get sent back to us.

Just to confirm your Hub2 will remain as it is 

Sorry again for the inconvenience this may have caused you 

Garerth_L

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@legacy1 wrote:

@-tony- wrote:

@legacy1 wrote:

@jem101 wrote:

@BMWCHUBB wrote:
send it my way please.

Seriously?

again based on nothing - take the time to read posts from @Andrew-G about his 5 in modem mode and you might learn something rather than assuming

Tony.
Sacked VIP

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@-tony- wrote:

@legacy1 wrote:

@-tony- wrote:

@legacy1 wrote:

@jem101 wrote:

@BMWCHUBB wrote:
send it my way please.

Seriously?

again based on nothing - take the time to read posts from @Andrew-G about his 5 in modem mode and you might learn something rather than assuming

I did and maybe they have a connection problem its likely many who have the hub 5 in modem mode are fine hint we don't hear success only failure.

---------------------------------------------------------------

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Andrew-G wrote:

Nothing like this was happening a month ago with a Hub 3. 

A bit unlikely I know... but could a...  network or cabling damage or street cab issue (etc.) have serendipitously occurred around the time you swapped Hubs? 

I guess putting a Hub3 back on would answer that.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I’d just like to record my thanks to Gareth_L for proactively sorting this out.