cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Hub 5: Our first ever WiFi 6 broadband router

Tweedriver
Joining in

I’ve just had a garbled call from VM telling me a superhub 5 is on its way. No request from me to have one. Thing is, I don’t really want it. I’ve a SH2 which works just fine on my 200/20 service. My WiFi is serviced by a mesh network, so I don’t care about the SH’s wireless performance.
Am I ok to leave the new SH5 in a corner unused when it arrives? Or are they trying to get SH2s off the network and I’ll end up in a mess if I don’t ultimately plug in the SH5? 

Has the issue of not being able to change the LAN IP address range been fixed yet? I use the 10.x.x.x. Range

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Tweedriver

Thanks for those details

The Hub5 are sometimes sent out if a customer has taken a new deal or re contracted

I have cancelled the activation part here so its not going to knock the hub2 off 

However the Hub is in transit now, which I am not able to stop

If you refuse the Hub it will get sent back to us.

Just to confirm your Hub2 will remain as it is 

Sorry again for the inconvenience this may have caused you 

Garerth_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

21 REPLIES 21

jem101
Superstar

Last point first, no you are stuck with the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet with the Hub 5.

Odd they would simply tell you that they are sending one out without any request, the issue is that they might well just disable your existing hub in favour of the 5 a week or so after it arrives!

Look if and when it turns up, stick it in the corner as you say, if your existing hub gets disabled, then connect the Hub 5 and immediately put it into modem mode and there shouldn't  be any issues. Either way absolutely delay sending your old Hub back as long as you can. If there are any issues, then call VM and request, no, demand that the old hub is reinstated - drop terms like 'trial product, soft launch, unfit for purpose' into the conversation.

BMWCHUBB
Up to speed
send it my way please.

@BMWCHUBB wrote:
send it my way please.

Seriously?

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Look if and when it turns up, stick it in the corner as you say, if your existing hub gets disabled, then connect the Hub 5 and immediately put it into modem mode and there shouldn't  be any issues

Ahh, well that's what I thought, but since the Hub 5 arrived and went straight into modem mode my broadband reliability has been ****ing appalling.  Yet another loss of connection in work time today (only 20 minutes this time, yippee!), but the past couple of weeks has seen roughly hour long connection losses every other day.  

I can assure @Tweedriver that what happens is that once the Hub 5 arrives, if you put it in the corner unused, your existing hub will sooner or later be deactivated - took about two weeks with mine, but that happens without you doing anything.  Plugged the Hub 5 in, and mine worked straight off without activation...well, worked except for the bloody dropouts.

Best bet (if you have no problems at the moment) is to phone up as soon as it arrives, and try and explain that you were sent another hub that you didn't ask for, can they cancel the Hub 5 because you don't want to be using an untried product - unless of course, you are willing to give it a go.  Make sure the agent understands what you're asking, and confirms they can action it, as given VM's low calibre customer service there's ample potential for things to be done incorrectly.

As for @BMWCHUBB, what benefit are you expecting from a Hub 5?  Fair enough if you want to give it a go and accept the risk of poor reliability, but is that really the case?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@jem101 wrote:

@BMWCHUBB wrote:
send it my way please.

Seriously?

works fine in modem mode if all else fails

---------------------------------------------------------------

Got to be better than hub 3 i have.
My hub 3 has had overheating probs for near on 2 years.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@legacy1 wrote:

That's not what Andrew reports in message 5 above !

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jbrennand wrote:

@legacy1 wrote:

That's not what Andrew reports in message 5 above !

Not to disparage Andrew G, but mine has been better than the Hub 3, both in modem mode of course ……. 🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Well, here's the last 24 hours of my connection with a Hub 5 in modem mode, and this has been happening about every other day since it was connected.

AndrewG_0-1646809319142.png

Nothing like this was happening a month ago with a Hub 3.  Unlike most VM customers I can read the hub status pretty fluently and there's no obvious signs of power, noise or modulation problems (some errors and timeouts due the poor connection).  I can only conclude that there's something underlying that the Hub 3 copes with, but which causes the Hub 5 to drop the line.

And as always, first line customer service is utterly and wretchedly useless, following scripts that don't address the problem.