cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cut cable

petenice
Up to speed

I've done exactly this yesterday - spent the last 6years avoiding cutting the bit of cable poking out of my lawn but yesterday was the day it got cut.

I'm guessing as mentioned above this is dual coax and copper that I've cut through. At the moment I have a 12 day wait for an engineer which I can't really wait for as I work from home.

Can I get someone to fix this in ther interim? If so what type of person do I need?

PXL_20220327_090417314~2.jpg

21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not being particularly handy I would commute back to the office for work and make the most of the 14 day cooling off period on a Three 5g modem for home. 

I'd be better off in the scenario paying a telecoms engineer to fix it.

We had this once and Virgin sent out someone pretty sharpish to join the two ends using a small box and then a week or two later they relayed a new cable because the old one was about 15-20 years old and we had been having picture break-up anyway. That was probably about 10 years ago though.

Well unfortunately now with a lot of people working from home it seems VM haven't increased their engineer resource to deal with demand.

Paid an engineer - did exactly as I thought - added some compression connectors, female to female connector and we're back up and running. Took all of 10 minutes and everything is running as normal.

Or I could have waited 12 days without any internet for an engineer to come to tell me I need a new cable pulled, which he can't do so I'll have to wait for another team to come and do that. In the meantime he'd apply the same fix I got the engineer to complete.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

unless the cut is in a place that cannot be repaired or there is not enough cable to make the joint the tech would have done what you have paid for

compression connectors are the right thing and you may well have got a good job but VM may not be happy if its not as it should be as everyone on the same cab as you could be ringing in with problems - thats the worst case - best case is - all is good - dont cancel the vm tech let him check it and add a waterproof gel box

Tony.
Sacked VIP

I'm not going to cancel the tech.

Please explain to my why other people in the cab will be ringing in with problems? Interference?

From what people are saying in here a cut cable can cause interference - but a cable that's fixed in the most appropriate way can also cause interference?

I'm not exactly non-tech - I found out how this thing needed to be repaired and the engineer who repaired it did the exact same process.

To be honest I shouldn't have to have paid to get it fixed - I shouldn't have to wait 12 days for an engineer to attend.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

start with the last point - you are on a domestic connection - it gets fixed when it gets fixed - thats as it is - thats what you signed up for right or wrong - if you want better you need a business line - i agree WFM has changed things but VM and all other isps have not kept up

i also agree 12 days is a long time but again thats as it is - they book the 1st available tech - you can ring and hope for a cancellation but nothing may be available - you did not have to pay all VM repairs are free - you chose to by pass the system so the cost is down to you

why should you not repair it yourself - 

1st is against the T & C's - the cable you have repaired is not your property - its on your property but the 2 things are not the same - its expressly said in the T & C's that you cannot modify in any way the cables and boxes - that would cover what you have done - but in fairness from what you have said the engineer you used has done it correctly by using compression ends and its likely that there will not be a problem - yes thats interference back to the cab which can affect all other connections on the cab - again compression connectors will stop that - you could have used screw on or even twisted the 2 ends of the coax together - would not have been the 1st time

so let the tech check it - add a gel box and i'm pretty sure he will be happy 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

I broke the T&Cs by accidentally cutting the cable

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

you broke the T & C's by repairing it if you want to be a pedant - cutting the cable was an accident - not the same thing - but unlike many you have done a proper job of repairing the cable 

Tony.
Sacked VIP