cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RG6 coax cable

itsmedb
Tuning in

My Virgin coax cable is 3m long. I need to move my router another 2m to the top of my landing. I recently bought a 7m coax RG6 cable with gold adaptors and full foil and braid screening from 1st  TEC.

I have in mind to switch off the router and screw in the new coax cable to the router and to the Virgin socket on the wall, then switch the router back on in its new location. 

I intend to keep the original Virgin coax cable safely stored as I appreciate it belongs to Virgin.

Question - will the 1st Tec RG6 cable work without causing interference? If not how do I contact a Virgin Engineer to visit and fit a longer coax cable? Telephoning Virgin is not an option because no one answers    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You need to call the request in - 08.00 is the best time to get through quickly. It will be £99 call out and they can re-cable all of your equipment to where you want it and then balance the power levels.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@itsmedb wrote:

My Virgin coax cable is 3m long. I need to move my router another 2m to the top of my landing. I recently bought a 7m coax RG6 cable with gold adaptors and full foil and braid screening from 1st  TEC.

I have in mind to switch off the router and screw in the new coax cable to the router and to the Virgin socket on the wall, then switch the router back on in its new location. 

I intend to keep the original Virgin coax cable safely stored as I appreciate it belongs to Virgin.

Question - will the 1st Tec RG6 cable work without causing interference? If not how do I contact a Virgin Engineer to visit and fit a longer coax cable? Telephoning Virgin is not an option because no one answers    

You can't use your own cabling as it breaks the terms and conditions of your agreement/contract with VM. You could also cause issues with yours and your neighbours connection.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/contactus 

Is the an email address where I can request an engineer call? I know it's about £100 and that's ok, however, the virgin/shop/ contact us seems to take me round in circles, I hope there is a simple system for requesting an engineer call out and paying for it?. Can any one help    

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You need to call the request in - 08.00 is the best time to get through quickly. It will be £99 call out and they can re-cable all of your equipment to where you want it and then balance the power levels.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

John, That's appreciated, overall it's better to have an engineer particularly balancing the power levels.

Probably best now in the new year.

Let me take this opportunity to wish everyone here on Virgin Community Forum a happy Christmas and healthy New Year, it's been a challenging year for all of us and looks like it will continue to be challenging for some months into 2021   

Thank you for the advice about coax cable and relocating the router. I have read some horror stories about Virgin Customer Services being kept waiting on the phone or about needing a telephone password and other identification etc.

Well, today 24th December I decided to call Customer Services at 9-30 am, and after ignoring all the pre-recorded digital stuff that came out I was automatically transferred to the call center. To my surprise, a Customer Services rep answered within 2 rings in a very strong Indian accent. He asked me for a telephone password, I told him I did not have one, he asked me for the last 3 digits of the account and I did not have that to hand, then he asked for my house postcode that I did give me and said, how can I help you. I gave him all the information about needing an engineer and one has now been booked. Then I told him we visited India in 2019, and we had a general chat about the places we visited. By the time we finished the call it was like old friends chatting about holidays and 20 mins later we ended the call. 

Wow I'm happy I think it was a one-off opportunity to get through so quickly and without being held up by no passwords etc, we had a great chat. It makes a big difference to get total satisfaction from a call center.        

@itsmedb wrote:

Wow I'm happy I think it was a one-off opportunity to get through so quickly and without being held up by no passwords etc, we had a great chat. It makes a big difference to get total satisfaction from a call center.        

… and I'm sure you made a difference to his day too.