cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REMOVAL OF ALL V.M. EXTERNAL EQUIPMENT

IKbrunel
Fibre optic

Asking for a friend.

Moving into a house that the previous occupant had broadband supplied by VM.

This is no longer in use.

The house will be modernised and the garden landscaped.

Who to contact for removal of all unwanted VM cabling & equipment etc?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You're very welcome IKbrunel

I wish you the very best of luck for the future.  Remember if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand.

Regards

Lee_R

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

VM generally only seem to remove or renovate their cabling if it is presenting a H&S problem. Would suggest that some cable improvements and tidying are incorporated into the garden project by the owner but the cable is actually left in place. If you think there is a H&S problem with the cable, post some photos for the VM forum team to advise.

There are numerous topics on the forums about difficulties and long delays in getting VM to (re)install cables should a VM service ever be required in the future. Removing the cable may result in the property becoming unserviceable to VM in the future.

As usual, the cable in the small green ducting is buried approx. 2-3 cms. below the surface.

The contractors cannot guarantee that they can avoid the cable with their machinery.

Rather than damage the cable, and leave an unterminated supply, it would be sensible to have it correctly removed.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Well if I was carrying out such a project, and the cable was not being used, I would temporarily disconnect the cable at the omnibox on the wall and carefully move it out of the way during any digging works, then put it back in place to be buried once again when the garden is reinstated.

Wait for the VM forum team to respond here and advise but the default answer is usually that VM won't come to remove the cable or boxes unless they are a H&S problem.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello IKbrunel

Thanks for the post 

The cable wi remain our property and will be classed as a utility in the same brackets as gas, water electric etc 

Removing this may have a detrimental effect on the local network for customers in the area

That is why we ask to  keep it in place 

Also if the Home owner required services, Then it would need a dig again. 

Sadly we are not able to remove this 

Gareth_L

Thank you for your informative reply.

Very much appreciated. 

You're very welcome IKbrunel

I wish you the very best of luck for the future.  Remember if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand.

Regards

Lee_R