cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RCS Partial Service

WillMcGregor
Tuning in

For the past week I've been getting this error appear on my Router, under the "Internet" status on my home screen it also says Partial Service (DS Only). I still have internet over WiFi and Ethernet, however (Even over Eth) am getting max download speeds of 40-ish-Mbps (I'm on the M500 package). I've only upgraded to M500 this week, but I noticed this issue before the upgrade and reported it online through the network checker, then it went away for about a day - then my broadband went through the speed upgrade and since then its been down to 40Mbps without fix.

I had a engineer come out yesterday (Lovely bloke), he changed my Hub 3 over for another Hub 3 (Apparently a slightly newer model as mine was about 3 years old), and changed my cable running from the wall into the splitter - also testing the cable straight from the wall socket into the Hub and not into the splitter to confirm the splitter wasn't at fault. He also went into the junction box at the end of my street and changed where I was connected into, noting that it was a absolute mess in there and appears some work had been completed on it recently. With all that be basically said he'd done all he could do and to wait until the 21st before making a decision if it was fixed or not. 

For the last few days, I could restart my router and get my full whack of 500Mbps for about 10 minutes, then the fault would occur again. Since his visit I'm stuck at the 40Mbps even after a restart. When leaving he said to wait a until Monday 21st before contacting again - but to be frank I'm unsure if thats because hes unsure what the issue was and is just hoping its an intermittent fault. Its also got worse intermittently since yesterday afternoon, dropping to 1Mbps at times.

Before the work, I was getting downstream power ranging from -3 to -21 and upstream power all at 51. Since then its bettered slightly, with the range from -16 to 1, and the upstream power dropping to 48.5 on two of the channels, but the other two staying at 51. The engineer also noted that my power levels were too far out of the acceptable range and he was surprised I had internet at all - so I'm slightly worried that it might drop out at any point as the power levels aren't too far off what they were before his work.

Appreciate you reading to this point as its a massive post - so I suppose my question is - is it worth waiting until the 21st to contact again, or is there clearly something still at fault here without change of getting better without an engineer to visit again? 

Thanks,

Will

10 REPLIES 10

Hi @WillMcGregor,

Thank you for getting back to me via private message so we could take a closer look at what's going on.

As discussed, a technician visit has now been arranged. I'm unable to confirm the date/time of the appointment publicly, but you can check and manage/reschedule if needed via your My Virgin Media online account.

Be sure to let us know how the visit goes.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!