Menu
Lanc42
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Quitting Virgin.

My elder sister is in her late 70's and in failing health with the onset of dementia. I have taken charge of all her accounts and finances.

I rang Virgin on her behalf to give notice to leave, she isn't in contract and she was present in the room when I rang and spoke to customer service then handed the call to me.

Not surprisingly, she's forgotten her password and it isn't written down anywhere to my knowledge.

This was the second call we made for the same thing and both times they said they would send us a password reminder but none has been received.

I'm in the process of getting power of attorney, my guess is I'm going to need it to quit Virgin as they are not exactly cooperative in this matter.

Can somebody confirm this and what I need to do to give notice to leave ?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Quitting Virgin.

@Lanc42 wrote:

I'm in the process of getting power of attorney, my guess is I'm going to need it to quit Virgin as they are not exactly cooperative in this matter.

Can somebody confirm this and what I need to do to give notice to leave ?

Either the account password or POA.

Those rules were put in place to protect people from "slamming"

How do VM know you are her brother and not a sales guy from "insert random ISP/phone provider here" ?

If you have any hassles after getting POA and they wont cancel the account, come back and talk to us well back you to the hilt. But ahead of that IMHO VM are doing the right thing.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Good Morning Lanc42,

Thanks for your post and I'm sorry to see that cancelling the services on behalf of your sister has been difficult.

If you're still having difficulty I can arrange to have the password sent out to your sister so clearing data protection can be much simpler.

This will be sent to your sisters address, and in her name as she's the account holder.

If you're still struggling with this account, do please reply to this message and I'll get the ball rolling with a PM

David_Bn

Lanc42
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, i'd appreciate  you sending my sister the password. ASAP.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

i'd be interested to know how VM can "send the password".
that would only be possible it they are holding it in a way that anyone can read it!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Lanc42,

I have now sent you a private message so we can arrange this. 

Kind regards, 

Dean C

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:
that would only be possible it they are holding it in a way that anyone can read it!

They can send a password reset link.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

that's what i would have said too, but the wording from the virgin rep was "can arrange to have the password sent out to your sister"
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The account password has to be recoverable otherwise validation of characters at three randomly selected position within would not be possible. The account password cannot be (re)set online (AFAIK) so either it is recovered or a new password set to post to the account holder.

@Dean_C, is it still possible to reset the account password after completing the alternative authentication process to validate yourself as the account holder?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:

Without wanting to sound alarmist, how else would an offshore rep be able to ask you for specific characters of your password?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos