Menu
AOTG92
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Quickstart setup - please put my mind at ease!

Hi,

First post here so hoping this is the right place for this.

Me and my partner are due to move into a new property on 15th Feb and have a Virgin Media quickstart package due to arrive the following day. When I completed the purchase of tv, phone and broadband over the phone the sales person advised me we could self install at the address and wouldn't need an engineer as the property was already in place to recieve VM services.

I've been in touch with the current home owners just running some general queries past them and they've since told me they're not Virgin media customers. So now i'm a little concerned the sales person told me a lie and I wont be able to self install come Tuesday. Really it's essential we get setup ASAP as my partner is a teacher and I work in IT for the NHS and Social Care. I'm wondering if nyone here can put my mind at ease about what we were advised or if you know of a way we could check if self install is possible?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Quickstart setup - please put my mind at ease!

If there is an undamaged VM connection point within the property, and the current/previous owners haven't removed any internal or external wiring, then there's a good chance that a self install will be possible. 

If there isn't, then it will need a technician to come and fit one, and if the external wiring has been removed or damaged, then it might even need a new connection from house to road (and that's a different team altogether).  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
rockin_plumber
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The weak link in the chain is Yodel, hopefully you get the 1% of drivers that is good to deliver.

if not then as suggested by someone you have to ring, but after 43 minutes this morning I gave up, I still don’t know where my QuickStart package is as I don’t have it.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

as said above 

the VM system flags up if there has been a previous install at the address - what is not know is if the connection is still in tact - thats the risk of quick start - so no the agent did not lie but just repeated back what the system said 

you could ask the current owner if there is an external VM box - usually brown or grey and if there is any internal boxes - the fact they are not customers is not the issue - its whether there is boxes in place - as to them working if they are there - you will only know when you plug the bits in

Tony
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Installation delays often happen, for various reasons. You may be fortunate in having it working on the day, but you should have a backup service like 4G data just in case.

0 Kudos