QuickStart wall socket

Lucyhdjskq
Joining in

DBFEC5A2-4EF2-4C5D-9A57-C4282B4902D6.jpeg

D3EECB1F-1E34-4CBC-97EC-A4944B92F89E.jpeg

5A540162-1A0A-4232-B6AF-F3F47E98B58D.jpeg

AF04FEF4-6F28-45BD-A2F9-5C0CA49FD0CE.jpeg

4D48E31E-398C-4E5F-8A98-EE8410466703.jpeg

I have just moved into a rented apartment. Before I came, I set up virgin media broadband. I did the virgin media check and it said that virgin was installed at this address and suggested a QuickStart box without an engineer. We have just moved in and received the QuickStart box however virgin is not installed at this property. There is no wall socket to plug into and so we haven’t been able to plug it in. There seems to be some kind of Ethernet installed but we are not sure. 
I have attached pictures of the boxes that we do have, one grey and one brown, but neither seem to be installed into the house but they are to the upstairs apartment. Because of this we cannot access the broadband or install it, but I believe virgin has already activated it.  
Even though virgin told us we can self-install, do we in-fact need an engineer? 

4 REPLIES 4

JOE-C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, 

The sockets shown in picture 1 are not VM sockets so unless you have any others in your home you will need an engineer to install one for you. 

Thanks Joe

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

there looks to be at least 2 VM external boxes there - the large [brown?] one in the second image and the one without a cover in the last image - if its an apartment block that does not mean they are for yours - follow any cables that look to go inside your apartment and see where they go - it may not be an internal box just a cable coming out of the wall if you do find that you need one of these 

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

if you can find nothing then you need a tech - wait here and someone from VM will pick the thread up or ring

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thank you so much for your reply. So it seems that they do maybe go into the house but none of the end cables have been done so I’m trying to book an engineer but struggling to find the link. 
thank you again. 

Hi Lucyhdjskq

Thanks for posting. Apologies for the delay in replying.

I've not been able to locate your account via the forum information provided - have you got this sorted? 

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill