cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QuickStart self-install but no Virgin wall socket

jamie2345
Joining in

Hello!

I've recently moved into a flat and opted for virgin internet, it suggested that I could do everything myself with the self install however upon receiving my kit today it asks me to plug in the isolator cable to the virgin wall socket, the only virgin wall socket I have is a phone socket, I've attached a picture of all the sockets I have below.

Sockets1.jpegSockets2.jpeg

If anyone can please suggest a solution, or how I can book an engineer to fit a wall socket that would be amazing as like a lot of people, I rely on working from home so this is a huge issue.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Eeeps
Well-informed

The connection you need is from the socket labelled 'Cable & Wireless'.

There seems to be a cable already connected so you could follow that and connect your SH3 to the end of it, or remove that cable (screw fixed) and plug in the cable that came with your quick start pack.

The sockets you have (from left to right) are...

Virgin Phone
Virgin Internet / TV
Power
Terrestrial TV
BT Open Reach Phone

Looks like there is also a cable coming through the wall below the Virgin Phone socket that may be for Sky!

p.s. Cable & Wireless were a company that provided cable services in the past. Really, VM should be clearer that the socket may have been provided by other cable companies (mine is Nynex)

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

lotharmat
Community elder
Is there a brown box on the wall outside?

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Hi Lotharmat!

No brown virgin media box that I can see.

Thanks

Eeeps
Well-informed

The connection you need is from the socket labelled 'Cable & Wireless'.

There seems to be a cable already connected so you could follow that and connect your SH3 to the end of it, or remove that cable (screw fixed) and plug in the cable that came with your quick start pack.

The sockets you have (from left to right) are...

Virgin Phone
Virgin Internet / TV
Power
Terrestrial TV
BT Open Reach Phone

Looks like there is also a cable coming through the wall below the Virgin Phone socket that may be for Sky!

p.s. Cable & Wireless were a company that provided cable services in the past. Really, VM should be clearer that the socket may have been provided by other cable companies (mine is Nynex)

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Eeeps wrote:

<snip>   p.s. Cable & Wireless were a company that provided cable services in the past. Really, VM should be clearer that the socket may have been provided by other cable companies (mine is Nynex)

Yes, mine is NTL, but I don't have a socket, just an incoming cable.  Agree Quickstart should cover more install options.  There are always threads here with people looking for non existent VM wall sockets    🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the detailed explanation! All a bit new to me so it's very informative.

I opened the cable and wireless box and disconnected the cable which was attached to the socket labelled tv and connected the cable that came with my self install box. Sadly it results in a solid red colour on my router which I believe means it's not able to talk to the virgin network :(.

Hi Jamie,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts

Sorry to hear you experienced this issue with your self installation. I can understand the inconvenience this may have caused. I have been able access your account details using your forums details. I can see you have been in contact with our team regarding this and that an installation appointment has been booked for you.

Please let us know how the appointment goes and if you need any further help regarding this.

Many thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs