Menu
Highlighted
Buloee
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Quick start using old equipment

Had a friend who used quick start self install for virgin previously but have since left and moved to another provider, I have just signed up for quick install and I'm awaiting my package to be delivered, my question is, can I use their old equipment prior to mine being delivered as it'll be the same stuff, also if I can use that, when does my service go live. Say for example, I could use their old equipment now and mine is being delivered in 2 days time, is my service live now and I'll be able to jump right into it or does it only go live on the date of delivery. 

Thanks for reading. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Quick start using old equipment

In a word, no, you cannot reactivate equipment that is not registered to your account.

Only the equipment you are being sent will be registered.

This prevents fraud, or possibly faulty/ illegally modified equipment being connected to the network.

The old equipment should have been returned as it is Virgins property.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Quick start using old equipment

Don't return or throw that second hand hub out just yet!   Although old hubs can't be reconnected in their cable modem function it is worth knowing that they can be re-used as an additional wireless access point, eg to provide better wifi coverage on a different floor, or at some far reach of the property that the official in-service hub's wifi doesn't reach.  Technically it is VM's property, but they won't be re-issuing it if it s returned, it will just be sent for recycling, so I'm sure they won't mind if you can put it to productive use. 

The only downside is that the wireless access point needs a cable connecting it to the main hub, which might mean some effort to achieve a tidy and secure cable route.  If you're interested, search on terms like "using old virgin Superhub as wireless access point" and you'll find detailed explanations in this forum. I'd suggest you wait until your new equipment is installed and working before doing anything, because you might find the wifi of your new equipment is fine for your needs, equally you might find it is a bit weak in some places.