Menu
Highlighted
ACCB
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Quick start question - old telewest install.

I was a VM customer years ago. We still have an old Telewest phone connection, and all we had was a coax cable popping up through the floor for TV (our choice). The coax used to plug directly into the VM TV box. The external brownn box looks OK.

If were taking Broadband + phone only, will the new router connect happily to the coax cable?

Or do we need an engineer install?

Tbh I don't really want any additional boxes attached to the wall, so that might be a dealbreaker.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Quick start question - old telewest install.

if its all connected then it should be ok - the internal box usually has an isolator in it - they now supply an isolator cable with the new hub so you need to connect that between the existing cable and the hub or there may already be one in the external box - you will need a male to make connector or a splitter 

Tony
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It 'should' work OK but I do need to emphasize the should.

If the cable from the brown omnibox on your outside wall running back to the street cabinet is still all in good condition, and if (and this is a big if) it hasn't been disconnected in the cabinet in the intervening time when you weren't with VM, then  no reason why you shouldn't be able to just plug in and go. All VM will know is that you once had service at that address and so the cables ought to still be in place, they won't necessarily know if its been disconnected at some point in the past and certainly can't tell if the cable is in good condition. I presume that nobody has disconnected or cut the coax cable from under the floor which should run back to the box on the outer wall.

All you can do is pop the cover off the box and take a look to see if everything seems to be connected nicely and then try a self-install. You may be OK and it all works perfectly, if not then an engineer visit would be necessary.

Lastly, I believe all new installs have the phone provision via VOIP connected to the Hub so the old Telewest phone socket probably wouldn't be used.

John

ACCB
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I might risk it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@ACCB wrote:

Thanks, I might risk it.

you have 14 days to cancel if it does not work so nothing to lose really

Tony
0 Kudos
ACCB
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just to tidy this up - the Hub did indeed attach to the coax cable that pops up in our living room (though I had to use a female/female connector to join the two 'F' connectors on the cables - I happened to have one handy).

And yes, the telephone connects directly to the Hub, so the old telephone socket is redundant.

Not sure how a VM TV box connects these days (BB + Phone only here), but that might have added some complexity.

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello ACCB

This might seem a bit out of deep cover, but I just wanted to check something with you now to save possible problems in the future.

When you left VM, did you continue using any VM email addresses (blueyonder / ntlworld / virgin.net / virginmedia.com) ?  If yes, are you still wanting to use those email addresses?  If yes, did you discuss this when setting up your new account?

VM email addresses are supposed to cease working 90 days after an account closes.  But often they linger (a recent case last week was someone who has lived abroad for 15 years and only now has the address been deleted).  This is known as orphan addresses.  So if yours have lingered and you want to retain access to them, VM can perform a Move & Transfer to link the orphan addresses to your new billing account.  You would lose any new addresses you have created, but as it has only been a short time, maybe you would prefer that.  You can check if they are still somewhere in VM's system by running the addresses through mailtester.com.

Of course, we in the community generally recommend that people don't rely on an ISP email address.  At VM, it is provided "free", so is not supported to the same level as many other email addresses you can get, it is subject to withdrawal if they get tired of providing it, VM don't have the greatest security for your financial and personal information, and the spam filters drive us all nuts!

This may all be a moot point - if you don't have, use or want those old addresses.  But I wanted you to be aware of the possibility.  You can post a comment here for the Forum Team to have a look if you are curious.  Don't post personal info, of course!

I hope the rest of your install goes smoothly.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
ACCB
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the thought, but I don't even know if my old addresses were working at any time after I left (quite a few years ago... 2012?).

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well, if you read just a little on the forum board titled EMAIL you will see that VM's orphan addresses are often hacked and people's financial details stolen and their friends and family spammed.  I would advise you to run them through mailtester.com just in case.  If not valid, you have no action to take.

If they show as valid- then let VM know you want them deleted (or resurrected).  You can't be too careful with your finances!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos