cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick start package - Wrong connection

NIMBAH1
Joining in

Hi all, 

After some initial nightmare with VM sending the quickstart package to the wrong address, I'm now left with two quick start boxes and neither are working. 

I don't have a female input for the coax connection in my new flat and instead have two coax cables fed straight in. I took off the Telewest faceplate to check and indeed it's just cables fed straight in. 

I plugged one end into the hub and I can see there's some kind of connection there according to the logs, it was able to do a software update and the usual T3 errors etc. It says DOCSIS allowed but it cannot lock any channels and everything is blank. The hub webpage says access blocked. 

I have an engineer booked for this Saturday but just curious as to people thoughts on this. The support person on the phone was able to send a signal to the hub however it did not come back online on his side. 

IMG_2865.jpgIMG_2866.jpg

11 REPLIES 11

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

More common than you think.  There are many installs with just the cable and no socket.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You will need to book an assisted install. Those cables are the feed from a Sky dish. They are not Virgin’s. It is quite common that Sky installers will remove Virgin’s cables to install theirs as it means there are less holes to drill.

Therefore you will need a manned install to reinstate the internal socket & feed from the street cabinet.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@nodrogd wrote:

You will need to book an assisted install. Those cables are attached to a Sky dish. They are not Virgin’s. It is quite common that Sky installers will remove Virgin’s cables to install theirs as it means there are less holes to drill.

I thought that until the OP said the Hub updated when connected?  Getting a bit confused now  🙂

I thought they were sky too at first however they're much thicker coax than that type Sky use. logs were definitely saying SW update downloading and loads of T3 ranging response etc. never seen virgin with twin cables like this 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM do not & never have used twin coax. The connectors also are a Sky standard kit. The OP states that no channels locked. The hub cannot receive an update unless at least the primary up & down channels are locked.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

This makes sense, how difficult do you think it would be for an engineer to sort this out ? Just thinking if I should also order fibre from BT just in case this drags out, the flat has fttc available but the speeds of virgin obviously allow for future proofing.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@NIMBAH1 wrote:

I thought they were sky too at first however they're much thicker coax than that type Sky use. logs were definitely saying SW update downloading and loads of T3 ranging response etc. never seen virgin with twin cables like this 

The logs will say an update is being attempted. That is what I would expect from a pre-authorised hub. You will get T3 errors. The hub is trying to ping the CMTS on all the usual frequencies & is not getting a response.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @NIMBAH1 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

Sorry to hear that you have had some issues with getting set up. 

It should be a straightforward resolution for an engineer,  unfortunately we are not able to change the install from here, you would need to reach out to call the pre install team you can get hold of them on 0800 052 1734

Kind regards,

Zak_M  

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@nodrogd wrote:

VM do not & never have used twin coax. 

Possibly but my very old NTL install has a dual feed, one for broadband and one for phone. The phone cable is not used anymore as VM couldn’t fix a long standing “phantom” phone calling problem. It was easier to cancel the phone than fight VM over charges.