cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick start no internet connection

r0n1n
Tuning in

Moved into a house today, previous occupants had VM. Connected router to same cable they used and no connection. Called helpline and they advised engineer visit required. Router cable is in kitchen so presume routed from somewhere else. Photos attached of how I found the wall box area and the cable underneath the box. The disconnected cable has a male connection. Hopefully someone can identify the issue. Many thanks.

PXL_20211105_205410927.NIGHT.jpg

Screenshot_20211105-210038.png

7 REPLIES 7

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Screw male connection to port at the bottom of the white box

Unfortunately photo of underneath box isn't showing yet, but there was a metal rounded cover screwed over what was underneath the box. when I removed the metal cover, there was another male connection.. The connection underneath the box is thicker than that of the cable that is unscrewed.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

the screw connector under the white box is correct as is the pin sticking out - what is incorrect is the larger piece at the end of the pin - i assume thats been left from the cap you removed - it should have come off with the cap - so try and remove the larger end which if you can will leave the pin in place - you should then be able to screw/push the cable on to the screw connector

depending on how you want things and assuming the small piece will come off you can cannoct the cable that came with the hub to the box and see if it connects or you can connect the cable from the splitter and then connect the hup to one of the cables coming from the splitter

the splitter affects the signal strength so it may be needed in the circuit

worry about that if you can get things connected - post back the levets if and when and however you get it connected

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thank you. So, the pin sticking out was just a small bit of wire put in the female connection. Removed wire and connected red end of provided cable in to wall box and the other end in to the splitter. Router now up and running using the router connection run into the kitchen. Why previous owner would do that to the box connection I have no idea, but, all sorted. Thank you for assistance.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@r0n1n wrote:

<snip>  Why previous owner would do that to the box connection I have no idea, but, all sorted. Thank you for assistance.

That's the remnants of a Termination Cap.  This is a standard 75 ohm cap that should be put on the ends of the VM circuit when it is disconnected.

It sounds as if it broke into several pieces when you tried to remove it, hence the "bit of wire" etc.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ah! Thank you for the explanation

Hi r0n1n,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community, welcome here and to Virgin Media, glad to hear you have now been able to get online with the help of our amazing Community members, if you do have any further issues pleaser do not hesitate to come back? 

Regards

Paul.