cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick start cable does not fit wall socket

Paulatmydesk
Tuning in

I received your quick start kit today. I unpacked it and start installation. I found that the wall socket in my house does not fit the cable. 

This is ridiculous, how come customer will use your service without the socket.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The third photo shows the phone wall connector inside my flat. There are two cable next to it that have been cut. Can’t see the third cable so far. But will look again tonorrow. Thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

if its the correct wall socket it will fit - new cable push on but they still fit - is there a terminator cap fitted - if so unscrew it and try again

post some photos - it may not be a vm socket - all that they know is vm has been installed in the past - someone may have removed it and you may not be looking at a vm socket

Tony.
Sacked VIP

919213CC-5036-4964-8E25-6236847C79F9.png

A12F712A-2B9C-41C4-B531-793E08170159.png

3A19729F-3C5B-47C9-BF8D-C0B12172BEA6.png

 ok

This is the only wall socket. The other photo is on my outside apartment cupboard utility cabinet 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your second photo is the coaxial outlet. The cable provided should plug into the bottom of this where the white cable comes out. It looks as if this output is split to service other points in the flat. You could use either of these with a female to female F type coupler. The Virgin phone socket is now obsolete.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

to add a bit more info - the 1st image is a splitter = the cable from the wall box - image 2 goes into the splitter and the 2 other cables feed to 2 other points - so where are those points - follow the 2 output cables and see where they lead you - if you can find either then plug the router into one of those - thats the easy way and it might be the best way as removing the splitter will change the levels - it may not matter but if you do remove the splitter then post the levels from the hub

to remove the splitter unscrew the cable from the wall box and connect the new cable that came with the hub to the wall box - connect the other end to the hub - power up and see what you get

a word of warning - if you trace the the 2 output cables check any points they lead to are in your flat - it may be that VV have piggy backed onto your input to feed another flat and removing the splitter would disconnect that output

connecting t another flat via the splitter should not affect your connection they would just be doing in your flat what is done in the cabinet

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thank you. So I have this right in my head. Even though the sockets and equipment that I have in my apartment says they are “Telewest” it will still work with my quick start Virgin router?

The third photo shows the phone wall connector inside my flat. There are two cable next to it that have been cut. Can’t see the third cable so far. But will look again tonorrow. Thanks

the fact the box says telewest is not a problem - VM is a conglomeration of lots of early companies - telewest was one of them

the 2 cables under the phone box look like coax cables - baybe they feed back to the splitter - if they do you can disconnect them and connect your cable to the splitter and then the other end to the hub - that should work but one will be uncapped which is not a good idea - that said both are uncapped now if the cut cables connect to the splitter

so the best way is to remove the splitter from the circuit as i suggest above - again as said that will affect the input levels so post them and see if they are ok

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labelled - upstream - downstream

if they are out of spec book a tech to sort them as a faut - thats foc

if its an earlier hub button is top right

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Telewest was one of many cable companies which were bought up and eventually became Virgin Media, so it's the right socket.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Many thank, I will try all this tomorrow. How do I phone up for a tech if I need one ( and actually talk to a real human lol).