cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about relocating the router

star99
Joining in

Hello again everyone so just wanted to ask would it be possible to relocate my router to my room using the tv coax which is already an existing connection in the entire house? so basically
UPC box from outside > TV coax junction > the coax in my room > router
I want to start using ethernet connection and if this works it would be the easiest, as the other way is to pull the carpet and floorboards upstairs and run a long ethernet cable to downstairs where the router is I've tried powerline adapters but they cut off the speeds amd moca adapters are pretty expensive

3 REPLIES 3

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You cannot use TV co-ax to connect your VM Hub.  VM can move your Hub for a fixed £25 fee.

As for ethernet, don't forget it can be run externally if that is any easier.  Just use a good quality, non CCA, Cat 6 cable.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@star99 wrote:

Hello again everyone so just wanted to ask would it be possible to relocate my router to my room using the tv coax which is already an existing connection in the entire house? so basically
UPC box from outside > TV coax junction > the coax in my room > router
I want to start using ethernet connection and if this works it would be the easiest, as the other way is to pull the carpet and floorboards upstairs and run a long ethernet cable to downstairs where the router is I've tried powerline adapters but they cut off the speeds amd moca adapters are pretty expensive

You cannot use TV or Satellite coax on a Cable Broadband & TV installation, & using a system that is already carrying TV signals is asking for trouble. Virgin uses the same radio frequency range as Saorview TV & 4G/5G mobile phone services, so these will interfere with Virgins network if they ingress the cable. Something their own cable is designed to keep out.

You should also be contacting Virgin Media Ireland, as this is a forum for Virgin Media UK customers & is a totally separate company. Therefore @Adduxi 's advice below is referring to UK pricing for wiring alterations, not those in Ireland.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Daniel_Et
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @star99 👋 Thank you for your post and welcome to the Virgin Media Community 😀

As advised by @nodrogd, please contact Virgin Media Ireland about this query. Their contact details can be found here.

Regards,
Daniel