cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Push fit to screw fit connection

paulreb
Tuning in

Hello! I'm a new Virgin customer and yesterday I received the Hub 3. The coax has push fit connectors but the socket on my wall is screw fit - see photo below. How do I connect the two? The push fit cable does not stay on the screw fit socket - the push fit seems larger and slips off. Thanks!

photo_2020-05-23_09-18-49.jpg

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Z92
Trouble shooter

That wall plate appears non-standard to me, maybe someone replaced the virgin one to make it look better, but I doubt it'll fit your push connector. 

So you have 2 options - find a screw on connector (you can get them from DIY places) or you can request an engineer who may decide to replace that wall plate or come equipped with different cable. Depends how soon you want service. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Those connectors are not designed for cable use, & may not be screened to the correct standard. You can fit one yourself in the short term, but I would get a tech in at the earliest opportunity to use the correct kit as DIY jobs do result in a lot of network problems. I would get something booked ASAP, as then it can still be treated as part of the install process. If you leave it you could be landed with a bill of £99 to fix it.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

This is what you should expect, a socket with a VM logo and the inline isolator.

Euro module isolator.jpg

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It’s certainly not a VM installed type F socket, but that said you can disregard previous comments about not being able to fit, F type sockets are a standard and are totally interchangeable.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

8 REPLIES 8

Steven83L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello. 

That's isn't a virgin media face plate. 

Look for one with the virgin logo on. 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Thanks, but this is the only socket. The previous occupant of the house used this socket to connect to Virgin.

Is there not a way of connecting a push fit to a screw fit?

Z92
Trouble shooter

That wall plate appears non-standard to me, maybe someone replaced the virgin one to make it look better, but I doubt it'll fit your push connector. 

So you have 2 options - find a screw on connector (you can get them from DIY places) or you can request an engineer who may decide to replace that wall plate or come equipped with different cable. Depends how soon you want service. 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Those connectors are not designed for cable use, & may not be screened to the correct standard. You can fit one yourself in the short term, but I would get a tech in at the earliest opportunity to use the correct kit as DIY jobs do result in a lot of network problems. I would get something booked ASAP, as then it can still be treated as part of the install process. If you leave it you could be landed with a bill of £99 to fix it.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your reply - I've booked an engineer. Seems the safest option rather than my DIY fiddling.

This is what you should expect, a socket with a VM logo and the inline isolator.

Euro module isolator.jpg

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It’s certainly not a VM installed type F socket, but that said you can disregard previous comments about not being able to fit, F type sockets are a standard and are totally interchangeable.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

@Tudor wrote:

Thanks @Tudor, you were right. The Virgin technician visited our home and said the sockets were fine and all I needed was a different cable with a screw connector, which he supplied. The pushfit works if I dismantle the socket and remove the faceplate to create more length on the threaded connector - the pushfit needs more length in order to grip. The screw connector doesn't need as much length to connect securely.

So I'm all done and now have a functioning install - thanks to everyone for comments and advice!