cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Providing hotspot device for delayed installation

dpelf002
Tuning in

Is it possible to be provided with a hotspot device if Virgin won't complete pre-installation over multiple months? Virgin has missed 3 installation windows and I know this is a benefit provided by other broadband companies. My current estimated time for service is over 4 months. Unfortunately Virgin has a monopoly over my neighbourhood so I have no option to give them my business. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

some report they get something - others say not - if you had an original install date then compensation is mounting up at £5.25 a day - you might have to fight for it but keep records and records of any missed appointments where you needed to be there - they pat £26

get a sim from smarty if you have a spare phone - £20 a month on 30day contract or a 4g/5g mobile deal from 3 at £25 a month on a 30 day contract

if you have 5g access and only need BB then the 3 deal is good on a 2 year contract - i have it and get upto 450 down 50 up - can fall when the mast is busy but its solid

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

some report they get something - others say not - if you had an original install date then compensation is mounting up at £5.25 a day - you might have to fight for it but keep records and records of any missed appointments where you needed to be there - they pat £26

get a sim from smarty if you have a spare phone - £20 a month on 30day contract or a 4g/5g mobile deal from 3 at £25 a month on a 30 day contract

if you have 5g access and only need BB then the 3 deal is good on a 2 year contract - i have it and get upto 450 down 50 up - can fall when the mast is busy but its solid

Tony.
Sacked VIP

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I'd be a little bit concerned that they might want to reduce the compensation by saying they had provided you with a substitute.  Wouldn't be legal but they'll try anything to reduce the compensation. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

I'm approaching £300 lmao I'm keeping all communications and emails diligently. I'll stay aggressively patient. Thanks

There have been a number of posts on here from people (and I have absolutely no reason to doubt them), claiming to have indeed been sent a dongle, some say it was unlimited data, others that it was 100 Gbytes a month.

Equally, there have been post from people claiming they have been promised same, but it has never shown up. So who can say?

VM’s customer services provision is deeply and fundamentally broken, there is is no global and definitive policy or procedure, it really does seem to depend on who you happen to speak to at any particular time.

I’d put it down to inadequate backend systems and complete failure of proper training* - but what would I know?

* Oh and just in case, please let’s not have another repetition of the cliched ‘all of our CS staff are trained to the same high level’, and you know who you are who said that. Because if you do, then, I promise, I may well bother to produce an entire list of threads, pointing out the falsity of your statement. Well unless, by the ‘same high standards’, you mean, equally incompetent (used in the literal definition) or not trained at all - which would be fair enough, and completely understandable and fit in with experience!

Hey @dpelf002, thanks for reaching out to us on the Virgin Media forums.

I'm so sorry to hear about the issues with the install you're having 😞
May I ask if you've been given an update as to when they'll get the external works completed?
Let us know.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi @IIyas_Y, There is no update to getting external work completed. I am scheduled to have internal work done on 22 MAR. This is just a reschedule from 29 December, rescheduled to 19 JAN, rescheduled to 3 FEB...and now rescheduled to 22 MAR. I've called the pre-installation team ~15 times over the last 69 days. They assured me every time that installation was going to happen "today." 

On 2 FEB, I was told Virgin has requested construction permits and the wait should be 6-8 weeks. My secondary question is why this 8 week window wasn't initiated any time in December or January? 22 MAR doesn't seem any different to me so I have little hope it will be any more successful than the last 3 missed install dates.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@dpelf002 wrote:

Hi @IIyas_Y, There is no update to getting external work completed. I am scheduled to have internal work done on 22 MAR. This is just a reschedule from 29 December, rescheduled to 19 JAN, rescheduled to 3 FEB...and now rescheduled to 22 MAR. I've called the pre-installation team ~15 times over the last 69 days. They assured me every time that installation was going to happen "today." 

On 2 FEB, I was told Virgin has requested construction permits and the wait should be 6-8 weeks. My secondary question is why this 8 week window wasn't initiated any time in December or January? 22 MAR doesn't seem any different to me so I have little hope it will be any more successful than the last 3 missed install dates.

the council will have sorted the permit out in 48 hours - 72 at the most - the 6 - 8 weeks is the rubbish thats put down by VM  to justify their total inefficiency at planning anything - it sits with the new statement from VM that some installs can take up to 10 weeks - i guess you would settle for that

if and when this goes to the arbitrator be prepared for VM to use thet 6 to 8 weeks as a reason to try and reduce compensation - have non of it

you can check with your local council if VM have applied for a permit and when - in some areas they do not even have to

Tony.
Sacked VIP