Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Property installation history and records

chrisk4
On our wavelength

Hi All,

A few questions please...

Can anyone tell me if VM keep historical records of installation(s) at properties?

We moved house on Dec 2021 and VM is available and we are customers it but it is not clear to me where the main (current) feed enters the property (looks like maybe a cable in the front garden area). There is also an older Virgin (possibly earlier - Telewest) box on an internal wall and it is not clear to me if it is live etc.

If VM had records of what was done and when, and the information be made available, that would be most useful. Especially useful if we need to carry out work - is there a protocol for letting VM in case of unexpected cable disturbance etc?

Thank you.

chrisk4

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If there are records they are liable to be very patchy. Even records of the street infrastructure can be wrong or non-existant. VM is a conglomeration of some 20 to 30 former cable companies who had records in various states. Do VM have a record of where cables & points are in your property? No. They don't. They only have a record of if there is or is not a customer at a property, either now or in the recent past.

If you are a customer, the cost to change any cabling that is not fault related is £25. If you are not a customer they will only do any work on cables inside your boundary that is a Health & Safety necessity.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If there are records they are liable to be very patchy. Even records of the street infrastructure can be wrong or non-existant. VM is a conglomeration of some 20 to 30 former cable companies who had records in various states. Do VM have a record of where cables & points are in your property? No. They don't. They only have a record of if there is or is not a customer at a property, either now or in the recent past.

If you are a customer, the cost to change any cabling that is not fault related is £25. If you are not a customer they will only do any work on cables inside your boundary that is a Health & Safety necessity.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Telewest is a predecessor company of VM and the Telewest socket would have connected to the cable. This will still be the case unless the cable had been resited, in which case another external omni box would have been fitted.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection