Menu
antonio-ost
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Project Lighting Roll Out

I am writing to encourage that the estate I live in is considered for inclusion in your “Project Lighting” roll out.

My estate would be an easy win for Virgin. There are approximately 60 houses and a further 30 flats, all limited to a guaranteed speed of 0.5mb/s from your copper installing competitors.

I am aware that most of the surrounding area already has access to fiber; it seems like an oversite that the estate has not been included. Please refer to my attached map where I have illustrated in red the areas that I know (through speaking with the nearby residents) already have access to Virgin fiber.

I have shown in blue the estate that I am endorsing for your consideration. As you can see from the attached map, the estate is arranged in such a way that it permits Virgin to target many properties with minimal ground work and disruption. The estate has a single spine road, with multiple branch roads leading off from it. Each street has houses on both sides of the street.

Please, could you ensure that this recommendation is properly considered? I am growing frustrated with the passive attitude of your telephone staff.

This is such an easy win for Virgin, and would significantly benefit me and the other residents of the estate.

The postcode for the estate is EH51 9LY.

Best regards,

Antonio

1.jpg

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Project Lighting Roll Out

antonio-ost wrote:

I am writing to encourage that the estate I live in is considered for inclusion in your “Project Lighting” roll out.

My estate would be an easy win for Virgin. There are approximately 60 houses and a further 30 flats, all limited to a guaranteed speed of 0.5mb/s from your copper installing competitors.

I am aware that most of the surrounding area already has access to fiber; it seems like an oversite that the estate has not been included. Please refer to my attached map where I have illustrated in red the areas that I know (through speaking with the nearby residents) already have access to Virgin fiber.

I have shown in blue the estate that I am endorsing for your consideration. As you can see from the attached map, the estate is arranged in such a way that it permits Virgin to target many properties with minimal ground work and disruption. The estate has a single spine road, with multiple branch roads leading off from it. Each street has houses on both sides of the street.

Please, could you ensure that this recommendation is properly considered? I am growing frustrated with the passive attitude of your telephone staff.

This is such an easy win for Virgin, and would significantly benefit me and the other residents of the estate.

The postcode for the estate is EH51 9LY.

Best regards,

Antonio

1.jpg

You and the others living there would need to register at http://www.virginmedia.com/cablemystreet/ in order for VM to notice, by the sounds of it your estate would count as infill, which VM are not fond of, that being said if you can raise enough interest then they might consider it, but you would still be talking months of planning, digging and networking before you could get services even if VM decided to install

0 Kudos
antonio-ost
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Can  I ask why Virgin have reservations about "infill"? Surely this would be easier to do? With close to 100 properties stood to benefit I am sure it would be worth Virgin's time and effort.

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Has your road been adopted by the local authority or is it private (ie. still under the control of the original developer)?

This is also a common stumbling block for network expansion. A lot of developers impose a "no dig" policy on their estates for several years after construction, or until the road passes into local authority control.

It may be that BT Openreach have the same issue regarding installing fibre in your street.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Recent Project Lightning news: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/02/virgin_to_fall_short_of_project_lightning_target_this_year/

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos