Menu
mattward
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Problems with connections but only in Modem mode??

So have recently been having weird connection problems and have had the cabling guys out twice now... first engineer said there was something wrong with the cable from the splitter so he put in a new cable and that's removed random channel noise etc... but still getting intermittent long disconnections. (can be 2 minutes can be 5)

My setup runs through a stand alone firewall to my home network. That has been OK up to recently.

When its in modem mode i get a different external IP than i do when static. (Don't know why) but when I do a ping test from my mobile phone to my Modem Mode iP i am getting at least 25% packet loss. When i ping the IP (which is different) in non modem mode i get no packet loss.

So to me this is something to do with modem mode.

Anyone else experience anything similar? (calling all you Modem mode people)

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
paultechy
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problems with connections but only in Modem mode??

would possible setup https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality to see if its the external connection that is dropping, also would be good to see possible traceroute in both router and modem mode, granted there this might be tricky to do on phone.. so could use website to do this.. e.g. https://www.ultratools.com/tools/traceRoute to see if the going via different route that is causing possible packet loss.
0 Kudos
mattward
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The Tracert tools is all over the place. sometimes it doesn't even complete... run it 4 times now each time a different set of results... You would expect some consistency right?

0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Trace routes do not necessarily have to be the same each time you run them. The routing algorithms chose the best route, so they can change depending on traffic and if a node is down. /

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
mattward
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Also just wondering if this is a NIC wierd auto negotiation issue... the ports at the back of the Superhub3 are all Gigabit right??? So when i plug in my network cable (port 1) to go to my firewall only one light comes on at the back of the Superhub 3... that to me means that its only connecting at 100mb? (one green light)

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

In modem mode only one port is active when you plug in a cable as the others get deactivated . All ports are gigabit.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Connect a PC to the hub modem mode and run ping tests try new cables.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It’s all well and good to say the ports on the Hub3 are 1G, they are, but they do support auto negotiation for 100M. Just make sure your device is set to auto negotiate. Also the Ethernet cable needs to be fully checked out, you need all 4 pairs working to get 1G, but if one of them is out and it depends which one, you can still get a connection at 100M. /

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
mattward
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yeah i checked out the ports and they are all Gigabite and they are all fine.

Just had a great Virgin Tech visit my property to have a go at fixing my Internet outages and turns out its not the SuperHub3 or my kit at fault.  I've learnt a bit more about how signal strength affects performance and how it could cause outages.

So the Power (dBmV) varies during the day during peak times. The higher the Power (dBmV) the more congested the local network... you can expect movement in this during the day but if it goes below 1 or above 10 then you are basically knocked off the network.  This Power (dBmV) can be upped and lowered in the street at the pillar box and may be raised and lowered to compensate for noise on the cable. SO! If you have your cables have been changed or swapped out for whatever reason make sure that all the channels at a non peak time are all around the 6 (dBmV) range so that there is the ability to flex up and down. 

Even though i've not been through the whole day yet I know that the tech that visited me knew his stuff and left me happy in the knowledge that my problem was resolved. (Fingers Crossed).

0 Kudos