Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem ordering Virgin

JayArrEff88
Joining in

Hi

Wondering if someone can help please.

I am moving to a new build flat in less than 2 weeks and I have been told by the builder that Virgin will be available at the property but I won't be able to place an order until I have physically moved in.

This is backed up by the Virgin website showing whenever I put in my new postcode that I cannot currently place an order but if I fill in a form (which I have done) then they'll email me when it is available and I'll get 3 months free.

It seems a bit odd that that it will be available but not until you actually move into the property as I imagine most people will need broadband from day one.

Has anyone got any advice on this issue as to whether or not that sounds "normal" for ordering Virgin broadband at a new build flat?

6 REPLIES 6

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

There is no such thing as a 'normal' new Virgin installation. So many things can and do go wrong.  But in any case they won't send a technician to install the equipment until you are living there and can sign acceptance for it.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thanks for the reply.

Can I ask what the difference is between ordering Virgin and ordering Sky or BT? I can't order the former but the latter two I can place an order for now despite not being in the property yet?

Surely everyone wants a working internet connection from the moment they move in which isn't possible if you're made to wait until you physically move in before being able to place an order.

Sky, BT etc all use Openreach cables. Openreach are required to connect to all properties if requested. Virgin use their own cables and only connect if it's profitable to do so. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thanks again. I knew Sky and BT used Openreach and Virgin had their own cabling but didn't realise this had an impact on being able to order Virgin ahead of moving into a property.

Just checked if it would be different if I was already with Virgin and wanted to do a home move and it's not - I still can't place an order with Virgin at my new address even if I was an existing customer which seems really odd.

VM contracts are tied to the address, so even for an existing customer it would be a new contract. 

- jpeg1

Christy_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @JayArrEff88 

Thanks for reaching out to us. 

There are a few options around placing the order prior to moving in to the property. 

I'll pop over a private message to take some details.

Thanks,

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more