cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prewiring for new external box

nadimaj
Tuning in

Can someone please confirm if a single coax is all I need to prewire from the external (brown) Virgin media box to inside the house?

The house I'm about to move into and currently renovating currently has what I think is an older design where a coax + telephone cable are leaving the external box to go into the house.

I believe the new design of external box relies on a splitter thats usually installed inside somewhere?

Photo:

20220506_134042.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@nadimaj wrote:

Can someone please confirm if a single coax is all I need to prewire from the external (brown) Virgin media box to inside the house?

The house I'm about to move into and currently renovating currently has what I think is an older design where a coax + telephone cable are leaving the external box to go into the house.

I believe the new design of external box relies on a splitter thats usually installed inside somewhere?

Photo:

20220506_134042.jpg

old installs has a twin cable from the cabinet - coax for the BB and a 4 wire telephone cable - the telephone cable is not needed on new installs but may be if you are on the old telephone system - does not matter either way if you dont have a land line - there is no new design of box it just covers the joint 

not sure why you are asking - you cannot supply your own cable - any changes should be done by VM

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@nadimaj wrote:

Photo:

20220506_134042.jpg

old installs has a twin cable from the cabinet - coax for the BB and a 4 wire telephone cable - the telephone cable is not needed on new installs but may be if you are on the old telephone system - does not matter either way if you dont have a land line - there is no new design of box it just covers the joint 

not sure why you are asking - you cannot supply your own cable - any changes should be done by VM

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The small telephone cable on the Siamese incomer is not used anymore. All internal wiring must be done by VM. If you want it to follow a specific route, say under the floor, you will need to install draw ropes/string. If you are having TV and broadband there are two options: 1) TV box and hub located together, there will be be one cable from the outside omnibox and a splitter located with the Hub, 2) TV and hub in different locations, a splitter wil go into the omnibox and two cable will be routers internally. Hope this is what you are asking.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2